RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Office which version?

The Contact & Calendar sharing is not between family members only between my laptop, desktop and WP8

Outlook.com accounts can do this, for example you can sync calendar, contacts and mail between all of your devices using exchange activesync (EAS).

It can also share calendars between accounts, for example you can share your calendar with your spouse and they would also be able to sync your calendar to all their devices. What you can't do with Outlook.com is share contacts between 2 different accounts.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• Poppapete

• gtechwi

• tojoski

Top Posters In This Topic

just wanted to add my two cents, since this is something that I deal with quite a bit. I also avoid Google mail as much as possible, but if you do use it, it is IMAP or POP only, unless you go with the paid version, Google Apps, then you get a sort of "active sync" with push notifications. It's not nearly as nice as MS Exchange.

Outlook.com is the next incarnation of Microsoft's email service, starting (AFAIK) with msn.com (remember having an MSN passport?), then hotmail.com, then live.com (Windows Live ID), and now outlook.com.

They had already switched Live mail to the Exchange platform, giving users Active Sync "Lite", and Outlook.com is built on that platform. (I use an android phone with the TouchDown email app, and I have my business email accounts, and my personal Live Mail, and Outlook.com accounts all configured with Active Sync, it's actually pretty awesome. they all sync calendar, contacts, etc.)

For home use, without using a google account, check out something that uses Smarter Mail or similar service, $1.95/mo per mailbox and at least gives you active sync. But it's still IMAP......

for example check out the MobileSync mail option  http://www.apps4rent.com/email-hosting.html

Back to outlook.com, you can configure domains.live.com to use your own domain, and it is "free", as long as you own a domain. I have a friend at a local business who uses it for their mail service, and he likes it because of the low cost.

The reason that I don't use or like it for business is, because Microsoft has a policy of cleaning out your deleted items to save space on their servers. http://www.msoutlook.info/question/716

Unless someone has found a way around this policy??...This doesn't work for me in a business environment, sometimes you need to find an old deleted email with important information. For this reason alone, I use a hosted exchange service for critical business accounts.

Actually, if MS empties the Deleted Items folder arbitrarily, it woundn't work for me even for personal use. I rely on having those emails available 'just in case'.

Actually, if MS empties the Deleted Items folder arbitrarily, it woundn't work for me even for personal use. I rely on having those emails available 'just in case'.

Just curious, do you run your own mail server?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I use office 2013 not 365. The reason I did not move to 365 was the monthly cost of hosting my extended family's email address's ( 8 ). Exchange Online Plan 1 is $7.00 per user per month in Australia that's $672 per year. I can get a 3rd party to host these for about $100. I think with 365 I have to use Microsoft for POP hosting. What do other people use!

You should still be able to use office 365 home premium and your email provider of choice just like you do with office 2013.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/buy-microsoft-office-2013-suites-and-office-365-subscriptions-FX102886268.aspx?WT%2Eintid1=ODC%5FENUS%5FFX102759646%5FXT103931505

The home premium version is for home and doesn't include email hosting.

My free outlook.com account syncs contacts, calendar, and email on all my devices (android, windows phone, and windows desktop,) and I use outlook that is included with office 365 home premium.

As others have mentioned, domains.live.com should allow the same functionality.

Poppapete

If I can use the Office 365 Home Premium and my own email hosting then that's what I will be doing.  I'm sure it won't be long until the subscription based Office will be the only Office.

Poppapete

I don't. I need to blame someone when it's down.

What OS can "Ability Mail Server" use. No mention on their site!

Edited by Poppapete