RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Office which version?

Poppapete

I use office 2013 not 365. The reason I did not move to 365 was the monthly cost of hosting my extended family's email address's ( 8 ). Exchange Online Plan 1 is $7.00 per user per month in Australia that's $672 per year. I can get a 3rd party to host these for about $100. I think with 365 I have to use Microsoft for POP hosting. What do other people use!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• tojoski

• Poppapete

• gtechwi

I am using Office 2010 Home and Student, one of the better deals that Microsoft has now done away with, as you could install this on up to 3 PC's. Office 2013 Home and Student is one PC only.

In all seriousness though, at this point I would be perfectly happy using the Office Online that is built into my Outlook.com account. You can use domains.live.com to host your own email domain and get all the features that

Outlook.com offers for free such has EAS. The only advantage that hosted exchange might offer is some of the more advanced features like contacts sharing, ect.

Edited by tojoski

Are there any other solutions that allow automated account creation from within the server environment?  We can always figure out the Office situation but it would be nice if we could figure out how to integrate the email without spending a fortune on 365 but still auto provision email.

tojoski,

I would be lost without the contacts, calendar & tasks integration between my desktop, laptop and windows phone so I have to stick to either Outlook 365 or Outlook 2013.

Poppapete, how are you getting shared Contacts, Calendar, etc. with Office 2013?  Is this due to SkyDrive/OneDrive integration, or something else?

Good question. I currently rely on our enterprise Exchange server to sync my calendar, notes and contacts to my iphone. Though would love to learn other ways to share in a home environment between family members.

In a Home Environment, you might want to create a Google Account (I use our Address) and allow connections to the other family members.

I actually avoid the google when possible. I have a distrust of companies that claim "we're not evil", especially when they're publicly traded.

The Contact & Calendar sharing is not between family members only between my laptop, desktop and WP8

Google will sill fit that requirement and you can use Outlook to create the connection.