RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

best practices when setting up new home server

Drashna Jaelre

Are you using Windows 8 clients, on UEFI boards? If so, go 2012R2E. Because, even with UEFI hotfix on WHS2011, it still has issues with UEFI clients....

egardiner

Are you using Windows 8 clients, on UEFI boards? If so, go 2012R2E. Because, even with UEFI hotfix on WHS2011, it still has issues with UEFI clients....

All of my clients are Win7 64-bit and use MBR and not GPT (I'm assuming they do, anyway - I didn't alter any of the OS install options).  Still, stuff like this makes me nervous, as I expect to add Win8 clients eventually.

Drashna Jaelre

If you are planning on moving to Windows 8, them it may be in your best interest to use 2012R2E, if only to ensure that the backup engine will work 100% on those new clients.

I have a couple of IP cameras as well, and was using FTP to store the images also.  I just got started tinkering around with ispy - its actually really neat and opened up a lot of features that I didn't know the IP cameras can do.  Not that this really changes your plans because FTP isn't a make it or break it feature, but just thought you should check it out.

You can pull the stream directly from the cameras (instead of the website) and put all of your cameras on one screen.  It also has its own motion detect setup that you can play with.

My issue with the FTP approach was that my cheap IP cameras wouldn't delete the old images after a set amount of time.  It would fill a drive with thousands of small images and then when I finally remembered to clear out 2 months worth it took forever to delete.

Drashna Jaelre

Personally, I use Blue Iris for my network/ip cameras, and run it on my server, so files are stored locally.  That, and it has a lot of really nice options too.

egardiner

Thanks for the tips on better ways to manage the IP cameras.  I've looked at both Blue Iris and iSpy in the past, and both looked like great options.  I've also considered Milestone XProtect Go (which can be licensed at no cost), and I think I may give this a try once my server is up and running.  My current solution is admittedly kludgy; I have a Filezilla FTP server running on my HTPC, and the backing store for the FTP server is a Dropbox folder.  To remove old images, I have a scheduled task that runs a python script nightly, deleting files over two weeks old.  Definitely room for improvement.

Regarding my question about WHS vs. 2012R2E, my current plan is to use 2012R2E and configure it to emulate WHS as closely as possible.  I don't plan to connect my clients to the domain, or to have the server manage DHCP or DNS for the clients.  Just to verify, can I accomplish all of this following the TinkerTry instructions here?  Or is there more to it?

In addition to Paul's excellent links above -- You may want to review these links on Managing DNS AutoDiscovery in Essentials:

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Essentials-2012-Manage-DNS-e659261c

http://titlerequired.com/2014/02/14/essentials-2012-manage-dns-autodiscovery/

An these instructional Videos on Essentials are worth studying http://www.mswhs.com/2014/02/learning-windows-server-2012-r2-essentials/

When I ran WSE12R1 I had to disable the Windows LAN Server IP discovery service on each client PC after connector install. I noticed this service is no longer installed with the WSE12R2 connector. And my clients seem to stay on auto obtain DHCP LAN IP and DNS server. So no client changes are needed with R2 correct?

jmwills

Correct. When you use the SkipDomain Registry edit, the DNS settings stay as they are, most likely using your local router.