RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Client hard drive change, potential backup issue?

gtechwi

ikon, you've been reading my mind.....that is just what I'm going to do! I've changed my mind from the original post. I was going to do a clean install before I found that a clone would work so well.

I just did this with my laptop as a test, and cloned the old dying HDD to a new SSD, it worked flawlessly. It's like a new laptop now, 15 second boot times are sweet for a 6 year old laptop that's been dragged all over the country.

Yes the SSD for my desktop workstation will be smaller than the HDD. I believe you may be correct about Acronis, but I've been using EaseUS Partition Manager Server Edition. So now I just need to pick up a couple of SSD's and we'll be on our way!

You may have done something similar with easeUS software?

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1152-system-drive-cloning/

Yes. Thanks for finding that post; I'd forgotten I even posted it (it was 3 1/2 years ago ;) ). The only negative I have about Easus is that it's a fair bit slower than Acronis. But it does work, and that's the main thing.

I took a image of my 250 Gb  WHS OS drive and restored it to a new SSD using Acronis... it works just as well  and I used a Sharkoon caddy to hold the drives to take the image and restore... you can resize the partitions as part of the restore process... I went from  the 250Gb HDD drive to a 60Gb SSD !

The version of Acronis used was 2010.... I checked algnement and that was OK and TRIM was enabled on the SSD post restore.

I found that cloning works the best but can be a bind mounting  both drives in the host machine

Just be aware that if you have Stablebit Drivepool/Scanner installed it will detect the hardware change and need to be re- activated... ie ... check you have the activation code to hand... just in case   :)

Thanks for the confirmation about Acronis. I really do appreciate people confirming or refuting info I post.

I'm ready to set up the server backup on my whs 2011 server. Normally this is done with a locally attached drive. Is it possible to set the server backup to a network share? Such as a NAS?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Yes, I believe that is possible. You should see the option when you run the Windows Server Backup Wizard.

I remember seeing this option in the backup wizard. So just to clarify, if the backup drive is locally attached to the WHS 2011 server, it needs to be 2TB or less. But if the backup location is on a network share, it could be on a drive of any size, right?

I did research and got the answers. I have just one quick last question. If I use a locally attached drive for the server backup, there are two options.

1) an external hard drive in an enclosure, connected with eSata or SUB.

2) an Icy Doc, or similar type, that is used to swap drives for rotation backup.

I have read of guys using option 2. My question is, how are you transporting the drive that you remove? Do you use special antistatic cases to carry them?

Hey now, that's a good idea. You use more drives than I do, but I'll just scale the idea down for my needs. There are small hard cases for cameras that will be ideal for a drive or two. Thanks!