RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Client hard drive change, potential backup issue?

gtechwi

Hello, I am using WHS 2011 to backup my client PC's. I wish to upgrade my desktop workstation, that currently has a 500GB hdd for the OS and files, and also another 80GB data drive. I am wanting to upgrade the machine with an SSD for the OS, and possibly change the data drives to newer, faster drives. I will most likely be doing a fresh install of Win7 64 Pro, since the current install is an upgrade over WinXP Pro, so I want to clean this up.

My question is, how does this drive change affect the backup to the WHS 2011 server? Will it recognize the new OS and drive structure and adjust accordingly? In my mind, for all intents and purposes, this is a new PC, but it would be great if the server could continue to use the same backup plan, so I can keep the existing backup revisions, (if possible).

If needed, I can wipe out the current backup folder on the server, and start over, but if someone can tell me how to keep the existing backups, I would appreciate it, thanks! Has anyone changed the harware on a client PC, and kept the existing backup structure? If not, what is the best way to handle this scenario? Thanks!

jmwills

The server should see this as  "new" machine because (IIRC) the backups runs on SID's of the machine and not the NetBIOS name  The new machine will have a new SID so it will be a new machine.  Remove the old one and archive the backups or change the netbios name of the new install. 

Either way, the server will start complaining about Machine A not being backed up in a specified period of time.  I'd delete the old one and archive once everything is stable.

Your intuition is correct -- this is effectively a new machine. So, forget about the existing backups. If you're backing up you client data as well as the OS, this can be a bigger concern than if you only use WHS Backup to back up client OS'.

My strongest recommendation would be to ensure you have at least 3 backups of all your data before proceeding.

Thanks guys, I'll wait for a few more to offer thoughts. I really appreciate it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

well it looks like your advice is the concensus....I have one more question. As I thought about this....Do I really need to change the netbios name of the computer, and re-do the backup?? Here's why:

I will replace the existing C:/ drive with an SSD. It will be the new C:/ drive.

Then I will add one or more SSD's for data drives. They will be drives D:/ and E:/

Won't the WHS 2011 server simply continue to back up the PC? it will back up the C:/ drive as always, and the new data drives, right?

Thanks

jmwills

No. The server will see a new SID and balk saying something like a client with that nsme already exists

Ok, Not a problem. Just had to double check....Now I will gather the components and make it happen! Thanks again.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

You really have only 2 options to keep the server backing up the client machine without hesitation:

1. you clone the existing HDD to the new SSD, making sure it's a full, complete clone, one that includes all the drive signatures. I believe Acronis True Image Home can do it.
  2. do a Restore from WHS2011 to the SSD. This is a great option, except there will be an issue if the SSD is smaller than the existing HDD (that's where option 1 comes in handy :) )

ikon, you've been reading my mind.....that is just what I'm going to do! I've changed my mind from the original post. I was going to do a clean install before I found that a clone would work so well.

I just did this with my laptop as a test, and cloned the old dying HDD to a new SSD, it worked flawlessly. It's like a new laptop now, 15 second boot times are sweet for a 6 year old laptop that's been dragged all over the country.

Yes the SSD for my desktop workstation will be smaller than the HDD. I believe you may be correct about Acronis, but I've been using EaseUS Partition Manager Server Edition. So now I just need to pick up a couple of SSD's and we'll be on our way!

You may have done something similar with easeUS software?

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1152-system-drive-cloning/

Essexraptor

ikon, you've been reading my mind.....that is just what I'm going to do! I've changed my mind from the original post. I was going to do a clean install before I found that a clone would work so well.

I just did this with my laptop as a test, and cloned the old dying HDD to a new SSD, it worked flawlessly. It's like a new laptop now, 15 second boot times are sweet for a 6 year old laptop that's been dragged all over the country.

Yes the SSD for my desktop workstation will be smaller than the HDD. I believe you may be correct about Acronis, but I've been using EaseUS Partition Manager Server Edition. So now I just need to pick up a couple of SSD's and we'll be on our way!

You may have done something similar with easeUS software?

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1152-system-drive-cloning/

I took a image of my 250 Gb  WHS OS drive and restored it to a new SSD using Acronis... it works just as well  and I used a Sharkoon caddy to hold the drives to take the image and restore... you can resize the partitions as part of the restore process... I went from  the 250Gb HDD drive to a 60Gb SSD !

The version of Acronis used was 2010.... I checked algnement and that was OK and TRIM was enabled on the SSD post restore.

I found that cloning works the best but can be a bind mounting  both drives in the host machine

Just be aware that if you have Stablebit Drivepool/Scanner installed it will detect the hardware change and need to be re- activated... ie ... check you have the activation code to hand... just in case   :)

Edited by Essexraptor