RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Is it possible to spindown harddisks in Gen 8?

tedaz

I have moved a boot-able OS drive from a Intel controller to a B120i and set it to RAID0 and have had it work. Going the other way does not work.

I have moved a boot-able OS drive from a Intel controller to a B120i and set it to RAID0 and have had it work. Going the other way does not work.

Which controller?

If I was going this route, I'd go with an ASRock E3C226D2I Mini-ITX server board and build something around it.

http://www.asrock.com/server/overview.asp?Model=E3C226D2I

I agree with others that the Gen8 probably isn't the choice for you, tedaz, unless you're okay with the fan being a little louder.  Of course (I can't attest to this, not using my Gen8 in AHCI mode) the newest BIOS may have helped some with this.

EDIT:  Of course, the Asrock board is like $210 after current discount.  Maybe a little fan noise is worth putting up with, otherwise the Dell T20 may be the best choice as others have said.

Edited by LoneWolf

Which controller?

I don't remember, the discussion is in the forums somewhere. What I do remember was the issue was getting the B120i drivers on the drive prior to the move.

I don't remember, the discussion is in the forums somewhere. What I do remember was the issue was getting the B120i drivers on the drive prior to the move.

Hmm I tried to do mine with a ssd os running with the drivers installed couldn't get b120i to even see the drive / s volume on post Edited by stix01

• 1 year later...

Question, my server arrives this week and I'll be moving my disks across from the n36l. Will I have to format them all to add to the array controller in a multiple raid 0 setup? They are all currently ext4 drives.