RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Is it possible to spindown harddisks in Gen 8?

tedaz

Is it possible to spindown harddisks in Gen 8?

I'm planing to purchase a MicroServer Gen 8, and want to connect one SSD as system disk (Windows 2008 Server R2), and four 3.5 ST3000DM001 SATA disks in non-RAID mode, is it possible to read the disks' temperatrue and spindown disks?

As far as I know, no, unless there's some software utility capable of doing it.

Personally, I just use WD Red drives, which run very cool to begin with, and have their own intelligent electronics and variable spindle speed.  If you're running an SSD to boot your system, there probably isn't a huge reason to have 7200rpm drives in your enclosure unless you're doing long sustained writes.

If I was going to use 7200rpm drives, while they aren't cheap, I'd probably go with Western Digital RE nearline drives, or, if Seagate's your thing, the Constellation line.  Like the Reds, they're designed for multi-drive enclosures.

Personally, I just use WD Red drives, which run very cool to begin with, and have their own intelligent electronics and variable spindle speed.  If you're running an SSD to boot your system, there probably isn't a huge reason to have 7200rpm drives in your enclosure unless you're doing long sustained writes.

If I was going to use 7200rpm drives, while they aren't cheap, I'd probably go with Western Digital RE nearline drives, or, if Seagate's your thing, the Constellation line.  Like the Reds, they're designed for multi-drive enclosures.

Thanks for your reply.

Actually, my main question is "does the MicroServer can use normal SATA harddisks with non-RAID mode?". Because there are some posts said the ACHI mode will cause the "fan noisy" issue. However on some Chinese forums, people said the MicroServer Gen8 works great with non-RAID (RAID B120i disabled in BIOS), no fan noisy issue, and harddisk temperature can be read by system, and harddisks can spindown with system setting.

All these information are inconsistent, I just want to make sure which is correct answer before to purchase a MicroServer Gen8.

I'm planning to use the MicroServer Gen 8's motherboard as a normal H77/H87/or similar desktop motherboard, I don't want to use any RAID function, I do not want to create individual RAID0(s) for each physical disk. I just want to use them as I connect them to a normal H77 motherboard. Is this possible?

I don't think your 2nd idea is possible. To get the drives to show up individually in the operating system, I believe you have   to create individual RAID 0 arrays. However, I wouldn't be put off by this. As I understand it, they aren't really RAID; it's just the way HP engineers chose to label it in the B120i BIOS. I already suggested to an HP engineer who frequests the forums that it might have been better to label it 'single' or 'individual'.

I guess the question (as I suspect this is your real concern) is whether drives configured as 1-drive RAID0 arrays on a B120i can be moved to another computer and read directly. Is that fair? If so, perhaps some of the Gen8 owners here can chime in with the answer.

If you really don't want to go that route, you might want to consider getting something else, perhaps a Dell T20 or similar.

I don't think your 2nd idea is possible. To get the drives to show up individually in the operating system, I believe you have   to create individual RAID 0 arrays. However, I wouldn't be put off by this. As I understand it, they aren't really RAID; it's just the way HP engineers chose to label it in the B120i BIOS. I already suggested to an HP engineer who frequests the forums that it might have been better to label it 'single' or 'individual'.

I guess the question (as I suspect this is your real concern) is whether drives configured as 1-drive RAID0 arrays on a B120i can be moved to another computer and read directly. Is that fair? If so, perhaps some of the Gen8 owners here can chime in with the answer.

If you really don't want to go that route, you might want to consider getting something else, perhaps a Dell T20 or similar.

I will try to move a single drive raid 0 from gen 8 to a ich10r intel controller tonight given this standard is very common. I also will try to move a "Raid Ready" disk to the gen 8 , move raid 0 2 disk back and fourth and post the results.

No. Raid 0 has nil trans portability regardless of disk quantity. 1 , 2 , 3 ,4 p.s I'm sick of these torx screws!.

Thanks for testing. Too bad it's not portable, but at least now we know. And I hear you on Torx screwd. Give me Robertson screws any day.

tedaz, it's sounding more and more like a Gen8 may not be the best fit for you. Maybe you want to look more closely at the Dell T20. It's not as compact, but I think it's more amenable to what you want.

Thanks for testing. Too bad it's not portable, but at least now we know. And I hear you on Torx screwd. Give me Robertson screws any day.

tedaz, it's sounding more and more like a Gen8 may not be the best fit for you. Maybe you want to look more closely at the Dell T20. It's not as compact, but I think it's more amenable to what you want.

I think he should look at some of the intel itx server board offerings and pairing inside a nice enclosure. It will be cheaper and do what you want.

True. I was only suggesting the T20 because it's already pretty much built: just add drives, keyboard, mouse, monitor :)