RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Firebaall

G8 Sensor location

HellDiverUK

Is that true? I've never had a Gen8 open, but the N40L I worked on didn't require the CPU heatsink to be removed in order to get the mobo out. It does seem odd.

Yeah, the heat sink is bolted down to the base plate of the motherboard tray.  The tray has raised lumps that sit against the back plate of the socket.

It's a pretty common method of mounting on OE machines - the Fujitsu desktops at work are done that way, as  is the Lenovo TS140's heat sink, and every Dell I've ever worked on.  Means the weighty heat sink is bolted down firmly to the case frame for shipping, not dangling off the fragile motherboard.

schoondoggy

Hey Guys,

I found this thread after viewing John's video about cooling the 13-LOM (btw nice video). After the video I just realized that my ILO shows that some of the sensors are missing from my server. Is there any chance that three of you guys have all the sensors but I have 3 of them missing?

Maybe when I replaced the stock CPU with my Xeon 1265Lv2 I forgot to connect some cables back?

What would be the problem? Please advise!

attachicon.gifmissing_sensor.jpg

Forgot to ask, how quickly did you capture the data above? I find that iLo is a little slow in gathering data.

ikon

Yeah, the heat sink is bolted down to the base plate of the motherboard tray.  The tray has raised lumps that sit against the back plate of the socket.

It's a pretty common method of mounting on OE machines - the Fujitsu desktops at work are done that way, as  is the Lenovo TS140's heat sink, and every Dell I've ever worked on.  Means the weighty heat sink is bolted down firmly to the case frame for shipping, not dangling off the fragile motherboard.

Thanks. I haven't run into such an arrangement. I worked on an G7 N40L and its heatsink was bolted to the mobo, so it appears HP has changed strategy with the G8s, probably because the CPU runs hotter and a bigger heatsink is needed.

mind12

Forgot to ask, how quickly did you capture the data above? I find that iLo is a little slow in gathering data.

The server is up for about a week. Today i swapped back from the 2014/06 ROM to the backup ROM version 2013/09 but nothing changed, the 13-LOM sensor is still missing.

Indeed 10 is for HP PCI Cards and Supercap is for the battery on the HP Raid Cards.

• Like 1

schoondoggy

I will try to get my Gen8 running again to see what it is reading.

ikon

Poor schoondoggy, so many computers lying around he even has Gen 8s on the shelf :D

FISHERMAN

i have received my G8 about a week ago and it is still in the box....i am really disappointed of what i am reading about fan noise and the time i will need to make it work like my trusty N36L... :-(

HellDiverUK

Noise really seems to be a problem with smaller cases.  If you want quiet, I really think you have to go for a bigger case. :(

mind12

i have received my G8 about a week ago and it is still in the box....i am really disappointed of what i am reading about fan noise and the time i will need to make it work like my trusty N36L... :-(

Don't worry about the noise if you use the B120i in RAID mode the fan will run on 6%. If you insert a card to the PCI slot it goes higher, it's on 19% for me with a video card.

On 6% it's really quiet, we sleep 1 meter from the server, it's more quite than the clock on the wall.

ikon

I think the real issue is where the server is located. If it's going to be in a living room or bedroom it could certainly be an issue. If not, then not so much.