RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Firebaall

G8 Sensor location

ikon

The G8 guys at HP must be going nuts looking at what you guys are doing to their 'baby' :D

LoneWolf

I agree, airflow is the answer for zone 10.

I'm looking for a solution that will ultimately let me use the lowest cooling profile in the BIOS (lowest fan speed), tandem with a quiet (sub 20dB) P222-purposed fan.  I have 2 more shipments of Ezotech heatsinks incoming (10mm, and 6.5mm versions) and I don't care if I have to make my motherboard look like it tangled with a copper-clad porcupine.  I vow to make the G8 quiet, and cool as a cucumber!

I will be watching this thread with interest.

I think I have a pack of adhesive-backed heatsinks somewhere.  My key is that I like mods like this to be reversible, so I'm willing to settle for some temperature reduction, but not the absolute best, if I can bring the Gen8 back to factory condition (in case HP makes a Gen9 using Haswell/Broadwell tech that is cooler someday and I want to trade up).

My other goal is watching to see if having cooled the hot spots in their system (P222 RAID controller, other sensor areas) if there is a corresponding reduction in exhaust fan speed, as that would be the end goal for me.  My Gen8 continues to think it needs to spin up high.

I'm very tempted to do what SD did and wet-lap my CPU heatsink this weekend.  Maybe re-apply thermal grease to the P222 heatsink and see if wet-lapping would assist that too, and add a heatsink to either/or the iLO and the Broadcom.  My goal is cooler and quieter, but I don't want to go too crazy.

The G8 guys at HP must be going nuts looking at what you guys are doing to their 'baby' :D

I think the Microserver guys probably actually think that what we do is a little cool, and provides ideas about their next model.  I'm sure they know our one big concern is getting the fan noise down; I'd be willing to bet they also think us adding Xeon E3 processors and RAID controllers is pretty cool, and I'm sure the SchoonDoggy Drive Bracket got someone's attention.

On the other hand, the ML/DL-series Gen8 guys.... ;)

LoneWolf

I made minor changes today.  Kind of to my chagrin.

I dug around in my parts bins, and found a set of adhesive-backed graphics card heatsinks.  Cleaned off the Broadcom NIC, and applied one.

Removed the SmartArray P222 RAID controller.  Removed the heatsink, and found out that it had been highly over-gooped.  Applied Arctic Silver the first time (couldn't find my favorite stuff).  Put it all back together.

The system fan went down considerably in speed.  However, the temperature of the RAID CPU actually went up.  Crap.  Shut everything down.  Found my preferred thermal paste (Thermalright Chill Factor 3) and re-applied.  I used a little more this time, and also remembered Arctic Silver has a cure time (it's also not the best stuff any more) of 200 hours, and hoped this would be better.

Same results.  Then I realized that the much lower exhaust fan speed was probably allowing a higher RAID CPU temperature.  Restarted the server and changed the cooling profile to "Increased" instead of "Optimal".  Rebooted.

The main fan is now in between what it was, 43% (at least it's not at 54% any more).  And the RAID CPU is down from 85C to 80C.  Better than before with minor changes, but not as good as it can be.  I'll probably need to try something more complex.

Edited by LoneWolf

Joe_Miner

I had wondered if pulling the P222 heat sink and reapplying it would do anything.....................

May want to try some additional fans -- the second Schoondoggy blower dircted towards the heat sink seems to do the best -- I think by moving air around the Heat Sink and out the back of the Gen8 -- the 30mm & 40mm I had pointed directly on the P222 help some but they don't directly push air out and actually block some of the back holes

gallery_1229_89_10021.jpg

gallery_1229_89_44963.jpg

Edited by Joe_Miner

LoneWolf

JoeMiner,

How did you get the Noctua fan attached, and how do you have it hooked up for power?

This would probably be the route I'd go.  Everything else is fine.  I want the RAID processor cooler, and I want to move the BIOS fan control back down to low, and I think this would do it.

My one other temptation was to find a side-blower like off the low-end Radeon and Geforce cards, and find a way to mount it.  If I could, it would blow right out the back.  I may even have one off a Dell Radeon 2400.

4176-dell-XX355-Faceplate.jpg

Edited by LoneWolf

Joe_Miner

This is what I've tried -- the two Schoondoggy Blowers got me ~90% there then I attached a 30mm fan to the back of the case next to the P222 with a 40mm attached to the 30mm fan -- all with cable ties.  For the blowers I attached them with Velcro

LoneWolf

I'm looking for a larger-sized heatsink for the iLO with the appropriate thermal backing. 

Also, has anyone checked the chipset heatsink to see if it uses thermal tape, thermal grease, or if it's just clamped on?  I've thought about it, but it requires removing the mainboard from the tray, which requires removing the CPU heatsink.  If I'm going to go to that trouble, I'm going to go out and buy about six grits of wet-dry hobby sandpaper and lap the CPU heatsink as you did, Joe.

Edited by LoneWolf

mind12

Hey Guys,

I found this thread after viewing John's video about cooling the 13-LOM (btw nice video). After the video I just realized that my ILO shows that some of the sensors are missing from my server. Is there any chance that three of you guys have all the sensors but I have 3 of them missing?

Maybe when I replaced the stock CPU with my Xeon 1265Lv2 I forgot to connect some cables back?

What would be the problem? Please advise!

missing_sensor.jpg

ikon

I've thought about it, but it requires removing the mainboard from the tray, which requires removing the CPU heatsink.

Is that true? I've never had a Gen8 open, but the N40L I worked on didn't require the CPU heatsink to be removed in order to get the mobo out. It does seem odd.

schoondoggy

The LOM (13) should show up. I believe 10 is actually a sensor on a HP card if you plugged one in, like a P222 RAID card. Not sure about the Supercap.