RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Firebaall

G8 Sensor location

ikon

Nice work. Would I be right in suspecting you will be adding some more heat sinks? ;)

Firebaall

I haven't decided what my next move is.  Zone 10 (the P222), is the last main concern.  I looked at the card when I had everything off, and I'm not sure a heat sink swap is going to cure the issue caused by poor air-circulation.

I'm not too sure there's any significant benefit to be had by attaching more chipset coolers.

• Like 1

ikon

For the RAID card an auxillary fan often seems to be the best approach.

schoondoggy

Oh, boy...did it work!

40 C under load!  I shaved 19 degrees off that turkey!

1yQphIo.jpg

I haven't decided what my next move is.  Zone 10 (the P222), is the last main concern.  I looked at the card when I had everything off, and I'm not sure a heat sink swap is going to cure the issue caused by poor air-circulation.

I'm not too sure there's any significant benefit to be had by attaching more chipset coolers.

It is amazing what a difference a heat-sink makes.

I believe air flow is the answer for the P222. I aimed one of these at the heat-sink on the board and it knocked down the temp:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Brushless-DC-Cooling-Blower-Fan-4020S-12V-40x40x20mm-b7-/261364828408?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cda8ec8f8

Firebaall

I agree, airflow is the answer for zone 10.

I'm looking for a solution that will ultimately let me use the lowest cooling profile in the BIOS (lowest fan speed), tandem with a quiet (sub 20dB) P222-purposed fan.  I have 2 more shipments of Ezotech heatsinks incoming (10mm, and 6.5mm versions) and I don't care if I have to make my motherboard look like it tangled with a copper-clad porcupine.  I vow to make the G8 quiet, and cool as a cucumber!

ikon

:D

Joe_Miner

Just killing some time, waiting for the epoxy to cure.....

I recieved part of the cooling gear I ordered last week.  It included a box of Enzotech BMR-C1 heatsinks, and some arctic silver epoxy.

The BMR-C1's are 14mm square which makes them almost a perfect fit for the 15mm broadcom chipset.  There's a minute underlap in coverage, but the excess epoxy nicely bridges (as shown in the pics).  I'll post some temps after the cure period.  I'm hoping to see a few degrees shaved off the zone 13!

PtdFBhu.jpg

UN0smVQ.jpg

HlPP15Q.jpg

I really recommend removing the 3m thermal tape, and going with the arctic silver epoxy.  I believe it will hold up better, and transfer heat much more readily.

Oh, boy...did it work!

40 C under load!  I shaved 19 degrees off that turkey!

1yQphIo.jpg

Amazing results FireBaall!  I plan to have an extra Delta pointed at the P222 but wonder of I could hang a 40 or 30mm off the back of the SDM pointed directly at the P222 heat sink.  Should be getting fans and connectors in later this week................

Firebaall

I'd be interested to see what you come up with, in terms of fan placement.  I have a fan with a flexible mount ordered, but I may have been to ambitious with it's size.  If I can get creative with it's mounting point, it just may fit.  :)

I've also noticed with the current setup, the zone 13 LOM keeps pace with increases in ambient air.  I've got an idea to reduce surrounding air temperatures cooking.  If it works out, I'll post up some more pictures.

fredaroony

Did the fans speeds come down after you installed the heatsink?

My fans run about 26% in summer and now it's cooling off a bit they are 19%. I have an Adaptec raid controller with 4 x 3TB drives.

Joe_Miner

I'm seeing some really good cooling of the 13-LOM at 46 -- I used the tape and not the AS so that may be the difference

gallery_1229_89_747.jpg

gallery_1229_89_44963.jpg

I've also added some fans on the P222

gallery_1229_89_10021.jpg

Edited by Joe_Miner