RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Firebaall

G8 Sensor location

Firebaall

Quick question:

Most of the sensors that are reporting to iLo4, are  pretty self-explanatory.  Does anybody know exactly where the sensor 13-LOM is located?  Is it at the broadcom IC towards the back righthand side of the motherboard?

wGM5I9W.jpg

Dave

Tweeted.

Is there a PDF somewhere that offers locations?

Firebaall

I'd love to know if there was a PDF floating around.  I haven't been able to find any documentation that tells me exactly where this zone is.

oj88

LOM is LAN-On-Motherboard, right?

So that should be the integrated LAN chipset, which is what the coordinate 12,12 points to on the board. The Gen8 specsheet says it's an HP 332i 1Gb 2-port ethernet adapter. I can't find any specifications of the 332i, but there's a PCI-E card that's designated the 332T. The 332T uses the BCM5720 and based on the datasheet from Broadcom, it has an internal temperature sensor.

Firebaall

Thanks, that confirms my suspicion of the Broadcom chip, being my target for one of those aftermarket chipset coolers. Network traffic is 24/7 on the server, so I'm not surprised by the extra heat here.

Firebaall

Just killing some time, waiting for the epoxy to cure.....

I recieved part of the cooling gear I ordered last week.  It included a box of Enzotech BMR-C1 heatsinks, and some arctic silver epoxy.

The BMR-C1's are 14mm square which makes them almost a perfect fit for the 15mm broadcom chipset.  There's a minute underlap in coverage, but the excess epoxy nicely bridges (as shown in the pics).  I'll post some temps after the cure period.  I'm hoping to see a few degrees shaved off the zone 13!

PtdFBhu.jpg

UN0smVQ.jpg

HlPP15Q.jpg

I really recommend removing the 3m thermal tape, and going with the arctic silver epoxy.  I believe it will hold up better, and transfer heat much more readily.

Edited by Firebaall
  • Like 1

ikon

Nice job. I really like your 'vise'. Just don't sneeze in the vicinity of the mobo :)

Firebaall

Heh...

I didn't have a clamp that would fit.  Bamboo pencil sharpener and a full bottle of flux to the rescue!

• Like 1

ikon

If it works, it works :)

Firebaall

Oh, boy...did it work!

40 C under load!  I shaved 19 degrees off that turkey!

1yQphIo.jpg

Edited by Firebaall
  • Like 2