RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Would this be a good spot to store the Gen 8?

riahc3

While waiting for a replacement, just in case the noise issue comes back, Ive found a spot to put the Gen 8 in:

vzfaC1e.jpg

Obviously after I clean the dust/crap out, I plan to make a big hole in the back so the fan can blow out. Do you think this would not only be good for the noise but also good for temps?

Enclosed spaces tend to bring the temperature of your gear up some.  Not just because of the ability to exhaust air (which you are working on resolving) but because the ability to take in cooler air is also reduced.

The spot you have intended has a reasonable amount of space; I think your server will have a little higher temperatures than out in the open air, but should be within operating parameters as long as the room you've located it in doesn't get too hot.

You would need a fan to bring air in and a fan to take hot air out. What is underneath this shelf? Depending on the design, I might consider a fan with a filter under the server to bring up cool air and a fan on the back for hot air removal.

I vote no because of zero air flow.

The Gen8 itself has no air flow. It has only ONE fan. If it would have a front fan, I would compltetely understand.

You would need a fan to bring air in and a fan to take hot air out. What is underneath this shelf? Depending on the design, I might consider a fan with a filter under the server to bring up cool air and a fan on the back for hot air removal.

The Gen8 itself has no front fan to bring air in. The fan is a exaust fan that just pushes out air.

Under this, there is just floor. Nothing else.

The fan cant push air out if no air is coming in. If you have a fan to pull air out you need the same amount of air coming in.

If it were me?  I'd be taking a hole saw to the back of the cabinet, and plumb some flexible heater vent to the back of the fan intake.  :)

I immediately thought the pushback on this idea would be big.  Just nowhere for the air to go.  I would measure temps ambient and then put it in there for a day. Measure again.  I've installed temperature sensing systems for areas like this.  Mostly for audio equipment.  In this case if you just have to use this spot, make sure air can get in.  Then get a fan to pull air out in the back if possible.  I've used a cheap laptop cooling pad before. USB, worked great, kept air moving.

The fan cant push air out if no air is coming in. If you have a fan to pull air out you need the same amount of air coming in.

The back fan pulls heat, not air, from inside the box...

This is how a normal PC normally works:

i8kJC1O.png

As you see (normally cool) air is pulled in by a front fan. A fan on the CPU is normally pull heat upwards and the back fan pulls all that thru the case and out the back.

rJk1eoP.png

On the Gen8, normal heat from the CPU raises by laws of science and the back fan pulls that out. It doesnt pull any cool air out and/or thru.

I definitely need to learn more about this law of science....

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk