RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 Drivepool server Backup

Pepi1677

I am slowly migrating over from x510 WHS V1 to N54L WHS 2011. I have Stablebit Drive pool installed. I have purchased an external drive to use as a server backup connected through one of the external USB. I have 3 x 2TB HDD installed. When I try to run the server backup wizard and select the pool drive it states the drive is greater than 2TB and can't be backed up. How do I create a full server backup? Can i select the Server Folder on each drive, I have folder duplication on some?

Thanks in advance.

David.

The backup in 2011 is limited to 2Tb.  I would get the cloudberry deal and setup a backup of your shares to the external and use server backup for system files only.

I like Dave's suggestion, as long as you don't have bandwidth caps -- watch out for that. In my own case, I do a combination of what Dave & jmwills suggest: I use Windows Server Backup to back up the OS only, and batch files and RoboCopy to back up the data.

Can all of your important data that needs to be backed up fit on a 2TB drive? I assume one of your 2TB drives is the OS drive and D: data drive. If so, remove the 2TB OS drive and D: data drive from the pool. Migrate your important data from the pool.

My OS is on an SSD, the other drives 3 x 2tb in a pool. I have also put the original 250gb non pooled in to ensure it works. I have attached a 4tb ext usb drive, the intention being that will be the server back up. Is it ok to use a 4tb as a server backup, will WHS2011 see all the drive? If not do I need to partition the 4TB into 2 x 2tb? 

IIRC, Windows Server Backup will parition the drive on its own. Unfortunately, the extra 2TB will not be useable, at least not without some kind of hack.

I like Dave's suggestion, as long as you don't have bandwidth caps -- watch out for that. In my own case, I do a combination of what Dave & jmwills suggest: I use Windows Server Backup to back up the OS only, and batch files and RoboCopy to back up the data.

bit dim here

sooooooo you use the included Windows Server Backup to back up images of the OS to say a external connected drive or caddy ? Are these images incremental or just 1 copy updated with changes ? and can you end up with a 1Tb drive full of WHS2011 images very quickly ?

and for your  important data you use Robocopy (installed on the WHS OS drive ?) to backup the rest to where ? and how ?... sry for the noob questions but I have to ask  :)

btw.. at the moment I use Cloudberry to BU my documents/pictures to AWS... just note that ISP's can get a bit touchy about large amounts of data uploading, especially here in the UK, and you can end up capped for a few days if your not careful

Edited by Essexraptor

I have caps all the time; my ISP implements them across the board. Regarding my backup strategy, here are some links (I've posted them elsewhere in these forums, but this will make it easier to find them):

SERVER SETUP PHOTOS: http://homeserversho..._140#entry47628

BACKUP STRATEGY: http://homeserversho...1373#entry51373

BACKUP SCRIPTS: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5197-robocopy-backup-scripts/#entry56498

many thanks.. being a newbie.... you never quite know what has been covered before :(