RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

For all considering purchasing a Gen 8

stix01

So - prior to purchasing my gen 8 I spent hours pouring over the many threads regarding them.

I looked at all of my other options. These included.

- N54L running expenology 

- Fractal design array running a decent itx board and cpu 

- Synology DS1512

So if you are looking at these sort of solutions and weighing up the costs etc. I know that these sort of boxes are very user specific in setup.

So I purchased the Gen-8  and here's what I've discovered now that I actually have one at home and running.

-The size of the thing. No matter how many times you look at the dimensions you will be amazed at just how compact it is. Because of the pictures on the internet consisting of just it. You just will be pleased at how compact it is.

-The build quality of the unit - I've had many lian-li and top of the line PC chassis this little unit has had LOTS of r & d money invested in it by HP. You can just tell it also feels robust. 

- The fan noise. So when the thing starts to whip up the fan. It's noisy when it gets loaded up it really does ramp up the fan. But when it is down below 10% it is absolutely viable in your lounge. I live in a concrete building with double glazing so it's very quiet inside. Mine is right beside me and I hear my HTPC more that's 8 feet away that runs Noctua fans & watercooling. 

- Again the build quality is superb.

- iLO if you have access to the advanced functions it really makes it quite a game changing machine. You need to understand that iLO is pretty much the servers monitor / console available to you on the web on your network through any device. (FYI you want the advanced you really do) also HP - give gen8 users the advanced key. You aren't making much money from people because everyone is buying it through 3rd party channels. Make buyers happier and also often users of this unit probably are in a IT capacity within some kind of business. This feature will no-doubt help you sell real hardware.

- HP's drivers and the website.  If you buy one. The moment you get it register on the HP site. Download the .exe files and extract them to a USB this usb will save you so much time. 

- Remember that you need a LACP router to get over 120 mb/s 

- There is a locking thing to lock the front door. You take the cover the box itself and simply slide a toggle. Front bays locked.

And enjoy 

Edited by stix01

Biggest point not made is the new policy of only supplying firmware updates to units under warranty.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

There are ways around that, and given the number of people on here that are IT Pro's I dont see that as an issue, I'm sure there are people here with access to the HP site and an FPT server that could grab files etc. for the sake of the community...

What I want to know is whats the build quality like?!

Unless HP starts applying certificates to the software and you have to authenticate in order to get them.  BYOB.

Would have ever thought they would have gone this far?

Bingo.

HP stopped being the amazing company it once was because the H and the P aren't at the helm any more.  I mean, they still have a brilliant server division, and a pretty darn good switching division, but there's an awful lot of people counting beans, demanding short-term ROI, and standing in the way of amazing engineering in the process.

I still believe that WebOS could have been amazing with a little bit more patience and a little bit more app-dev incentive.  And yet it got killed so quickly we hardly had time to say hello before we said goodbye.  It seems like the great things at HP keep getting stifled by the paper-pushers.

Whatever happened to "The HP Way"? (scroll down slightly after clicking)

http://www.hpalumni.org/hp_way

Edited by LoneWolf

What backlash? I have heard no apology from HP or any backpedaling at all. The only thing I've seen from HP is two middle fingers pointing right at the people and companies who make their bottom line... the ProLiant users.

Interesting Edit:

Profit. To recognize that profit is the best single measure of our contribution to society and the ultimate source of our corporate strength. We should attempt to achieve the maximum possible profit consistent with our other objectives.

All other objectives don't exist in the new HP...

Edited by Vance Fox

Bingo.

HP stopped being the amazing company it once was because the H and the P aren't at the helm any more.  I mean, they still have a brilliant server division, and a pretty darn good switching division, but there's an awful lot of people counting beans, demanding short-term ROI, and standing in the way of amazing engineering in the process.

I still believe that WebOS could have been amazing with a little bit more patience and a little bit more app-dev incentive.  And yet it got killed so quickly we hardly had time to say hello before we said goodbye.  It seems like the great things at HP keep getting stifled by the paper-pushers.

Whatever happened to "The HP Way"? (scroll down slightly after clicking)

http://www.hpalumni.org/hp_way

What backlash? I have heard no apology from HP or any backpedaling at all. The only thing I've seen from HP is two middle fingers pointing right at the people and companies who make their bottom line... the ProLiant users.

Interesting Edit:

Profit. To recognize that profit is the best single measure of our contribution to society and the ultimate source of our corporate strength. We should attempt to achieve the maximum possible profit consistent with our other objectives.

All other objectives don't exist in the new HP...

Yep. It's amazing how the bean counters never learn that counting beans is not how you make a company successful, and that profit this quarter means nothing 10 years from now. Of course, they don't care about 10 years from now. With any luck they will have raked in a pile of cash and moved on, not caring at all about what they left behind.

IMHO, the biggest mistake both H and P made was to not structure things so that only brilliant engineers, ones with vision, would be allowed to lead the company. A tough thing to accomplish for sure, but a goal well worth pursuing.