RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
stix01

iLo trial licence issues.

doomed

Ok. To solve this issue if anyone encounters it - I also suspect it allows one to keep reseting.

You can dive into the iLO bios menu and do a full reset on the iLo - This is what HP told me to do. Solved the problem. Also - HP online chat support = fantastic.

Where on BIOS is this option? I don't see it.

I'm having the same problem.

Just installed a new trial license for iLO Essentials yesterday and today it's saying  Demo license previously installed.

doomed

Just installed a new trial license for iLO Essentials yesterday and today it's saying  Demo license previously installed.

I think i know what the problem is...

The date on the server was originally wrong (06/06/2014). Obviously i only set it right (12/24/2014) AFTER i installed iLO trial license and was able to connect remotely to the server console.

I guess this mangled the license expiration date.

doomed

Found it.

It has its own BIOS menu, accessible by pressing F8.

The reset worked. The license is active again.

ikon

Excellent. And yeah, having the wrong date would mess things up for sure. Which means, of course, if you hadn't been able to reset the license, you could have simply changed the date back and made it active again, at least until you were finished with it.

Maxy04

If i buy a new HP microserver g8, will I be able to use iLO 4 for free forever or is there a trial period or something like that?

I'm searching for the same answers.
who know a little about it?

Joe_Miner

Maxy04

Yes, forever, but the version that comes with the Gen8 drops out ~30 secs after the OS is loaded.  Some of us have purchased Advanced Licenses for around $40 or less.

I got mine at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/512485-B21-512519-021-SEALED-SPARE-HP-ILO-ADVANCED-PK-SINGLE-SVR-/110897570685?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d202a37d&afsrc=1&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

Thank you, i bought it on ebay, on the link you wrote.

but... if i can buy an advanced license for 26$, why hp don't give it for free on the hardware?

i think hp could make customers happier, with a very little cost.

EDIT:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-512485-b21-512519-001ILO-ADV-PK-SGL-SVR-W-1YR-TS-U-/291312685893?

this vendor has ilo advanced for 22$

Edited by Maxy04

Harroguk

Not sure how legitimate those resellers are but there are certainly license generators for ilo3 and ilo4 out in the wild.

Could it be that these sellers are just sending generated keys or do you receive the full license pack?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

schoondoggy

Not sure how legitimate those resellers are but there are certainly license generators for ilo3 and ilo4 out in the wild.

Could it be that these sellers are just sending generated keys or do you receive the full license pack?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Every license I have bought has been legit. Make sure you buy them in sealed envelopes.

Thank you, i bought it on ebay, on the link you wrote.

but... if i can buy an advanced license for 26$, why hp don't give it for free on the hardware?

i think hp could make customers happier, with a very little cost.

EDIT:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-512485-b21-512519-001ILO-ADV-PK-SGL-SVR-W-1YR-TS-U-/291312685893?

this vendor has ilo advanced for 22$

HP charges a lot more for them. The ones you are buying on ebay are not from authorized dealers but they are legit. I believe the majority of these are from end users. Say a company is installing 20 HP blade servers. They ordered iLo advanced license for each. The engineer installing them opens one iLo license and uses it on each of the 20 servers. The other 19 get sold as overstock.

E3000

Do those advanced licenses work for one year or forever?

I am having the same issue as the threadstarter and will try the reset method. I'm surprised at how little talk there is about installing Windows through iLo seeing as everyone seems to ask "why would you want an ODD in a server?" :-) It took a bit of trial and error but I made it in the end. IP updating doesn't seem to work either, I always get an error telling me to make sure I can connect to HP.com, and installing from USB stick is not as straightforward as I would have thought (having installed Windows dozens of times on desktop workstations).