RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

FreeNAS within ESXi on N54L - HDD Set up question

Brownstone1892

Morning all,

I've installed ESXi on my N54L from the disc image HP-ESXi-5.0.0.0-Update3-iso-5.44.21. I have only 4GB of RAM installed currently. I'm running ESXi from a USB stick and have my FreeNAS VM set up on a 250GB HDD.

Now to my question: I have 3x 1TB HDD installed and am wanting to use these for FreeNAS storage. I'm just wondering what the best way to set them up is. Do I create one Datastore across all 3 disks, or 3 separate Datastores? I'd like to have the storage show up as one continuous 'lump' (I'm assuming it would be 2TB with the other 1TB for Parity) so I can create folders such as Movies, Music, Photos, etc...

I have had a little tinker with this, and set up a NFS share which had horrendous write speed when copying data to the 'NAS'. I'm not commited to FreeNAS, so if there are any other NAS solutions out there that may better suit my needs, I'm open to suggestions. I don't really need all the bells and whistle FreeNAS offers to be honest.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

BS...

Edited by Brownstone1892

Just realised this post may sit better in the Virtualisation forum. Mods, feel free to move it if you agree.

Cheers,

BS...

Folks have said good things about FreeNAS and/or ZFS. Feel free to query the collective wisdom of the Internet, but why not test drive FreeNAS for yourself? Choose a supported RAID configuration (e.g. 0, 1, 5) and then test it to see if it will meet your needs. If I went about this, I would probably attempt to benchmark the system configured as RAID-Z. If my benchmark was drastically different from that of others, I would attempt to troubleshoot my configuation before drawing any conclusions. Certainly, using software RAID will save you the cost of a hardware RAID controller - and another potential source of hardware failure.

Edited by mythic.glyph

• 2 weeks later...

With the install size mentioned in your OP your better off dumping ESXi and going for a straight install of FreeNAS IMO. Install and boot from a thumb drive attached to the internal motherboard connector. I dabbled with FreeNAS before going WHS ..... to have a effective ZFS pool you'll need double the amount of RAM you currently have. The more the merrier with ZFS.... :)

Edited by Essexraptor