RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

External Enclosures with P222 Controller Card

Nicholas Kasprinski

Yes 3 enclosure, 4 different cables, 2 different p222 controllers, and 9 different drives (all same brand and size) lol. Hope the new drivers and firmware will have corrected the issue. We shall soon see when my new enclosure gets delivered this weekend

There is definitely something odd going on here. As I understand it, other people have this combination of hardware running just fine. Yet, you've tried multiple copies of the hardware and can't get any of them to work.

As I see it, the things in common to all these scenarios are the server and its BIOS.

Wow that's insane.  I've been running a TR4X+B for quite some time with 4 seagate 3tb drives in raid 5, attached to a P222 with almost no issues.  I had one drive go into predictive failure a little bit ago but I swapped it out an it rebuilt just fine.  I've got a VMWare datastore running across the entire array.

Very interesting thread.

Question for all of you --what cable are you guys using to connect the P222 to an external enclosure?  The cables I've seen have been crazy expensive, and I wasn't sure I was looking at the right ones.

Ok so I got my new TR4X+B and it appears I am getting the same problem with all of the new drivers and firmware. When I boot with the new enclosure attached it goes to the second screen and hangs with it saying Processor Initialization Complete. After about few minutes it proceeds then when it gets to the P222 card and gives me error code 0xab. WIll get more info and post

Very interesting thread.

Question for all of you --what cable are you guys using to connect the P222 to an external enclosure? The cables I've seen have been crazy expensive, and I wasn't sure I was looking at the right ones.

I have been using the one that came with my enclosure and a longer one from monoprice. I am curious to know if that is what is causing my problems.