RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

External Enclosures with P222 Controller Card

Nicholas Kasprinski

Hello everyone. I had a Sans Digital external drive enclosure (TR4X+) that I connected via SAS cable to my P222 Controller card. The problem I had is that every time I went to build an array it would fail my hard drives. I could reseat the drives and everything would appear normal. I tried 3 drive enclosures and 2 controller cards and all the same thing. Also if I had 4 drives inserted into the enclosure my server would not boot unless I turned off the enclosure or I pulled out the last drive in the enclosure. With all of that said my question is, what external enclosures are compatible with the P222 besides the two extremely expensive and large enclosures, D26/2700 that HP recommends? Thank you in advance for all of your assistance.

I have been running a Sans Digital TR4X+ on a P222 in a HP Gen 8 without issue. I have mainly used it for lab/play.

Is your P222 at the latest firmware?

Have you tried a different cable?

I had the latest firmware at the time. I did try multiple cables. What type of drives do you have? I was using seagate st2000 drives. Also how many raids do you have setup between the internal cage and the enclosure?

Edited by Nicholas Kasprinski

I totally agree with that I would buy one. But I just can't spend thousands of dollars for a rack mount enclosure that I don't have room for

I have Samsung ST2000's in it now.

I set them up as a separate RAID 5, but I have also combined the 4 internal drives with the 4 external to create a 8 drive RAID 6.

I don't know what to test. The last time what would happen is that if the TR4X+B had 4 drives at startup it would hang for minutes and then fail to load any arrays. If I started up with 3 drives everything would boot as normal but if I created an additional raid 5/6, during the building of the array it would "fail" my drives some or all of the drives. If I just created a simple raid 0 for one drive sometimes it would "fail" while writing data or formatting. This happened with both old and brand new drives. I tried different cables enclosures and p222 card. I am just at a loss. What brand cable are you using? I tried the ones that came with the enclosure and one that I bought from monoprise