RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can I do This?

janzy

Can I remove my usb stick that is running Synology 4.3 on my HP n54L and reformat it, put Synology stuff back on it and return it to my HPn54l box and start 4.3 back up?

I had a Volume Crash. rebooted the Synology and all my files came back into play but it's telling me my usb 1 is running out of space.

I would think that Synology is going to treat this as a new install and not recognize the previously running volume of drives.

thats what i was afraid of.

this is the message im getting:

USB Disk 1: Your disk space is running out.
Please add or replace disks to expand the storage.

yes, its the only usb disk i have in the machine.

I have more to use but am afraid if i reinstall the os i will lose my files.

I think you are going to need to ask you question in the forums that originally posted about using the Synology DSM software in the HP Microservers.  Hopefully someone there has had the same experience already.  I don't think you will get much help here other than everyone telling you that you should have a backup.  Running the Synology was already risky since it isn't a supported use of the OS in the Microserver.

That being said, is it worthless the way it is right now because of the error message?  If it is then you may not have anything to lose by trying a new USB stick that is a larger volume and put the OS on it.  Plug it in and see what happens.  I would think if it isn't going to work that you would know before it starts over writing the drives.  However, I have no experience with this and you may wipe out everything.