RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Temperature/Humidity monitoring of server closet

oj88

Not sure where to put this as I can't find any similar topic.

I'd like to put a temperature probe inside my server cupboard (approx. 4' x 2' x 2' / W x H x D). The front doors are fully vented so it's sort of semi-enclosed.

Anyway, our summer is coming and I would like to have some pseudo climate monitoring inside the cupboard and would like your advice on what temperature probe is best. I'm having it shipped to Manila so it has to be reliable, reducing any chances of having to send it back.

I've been skimming through eBay and Amazon and two brands seems to pop-up, at least to me, as reputable. Namely, La Crosse and Acurite. Please feel free to correct me.

A few features that would be handy:

1. Indoor and outdoor - I can use the 'outdoor' probe in the server cupboard and use the 'indoor' probe to monitor the living area

2. Hygrometer/humidity measurements is optional but a plus

3. Alerts - Can sound off an alarm if set temp/humidity limits are exceeded. I see some of the La Crosse models have this and I think this feature may be important

4. Wireless or wired 'outdoor' sensor - Wireless is a plus but not a requirement as the proximity between the sensor and the base unit is quite close

5. Budget - under $70

Thanks!

I cant do it for $70, but for $160 you could do this:

https://shop.smartthings.com/#/products/aeonlabs-multi

https://shop.smartthings.com/#/products/smartthings-hub

I have been playing with SmartThings home automation, very interesting stuff. I have not played with the Aeon Labs Multi, but everything else I have tried has worked well.

If you have interest in HA this could be a easy way to monitor temp and humidity.

A bit more basic might be something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0054U4YKI/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A20ANCJS9NOCG6

It's a USB temperature sensor.  At $11.30 you could get two (if you have two spare USB ports) and run the sensor for one outside your cabinet to monitor the room temp.

I've been looking for something to monitor the temperature at a remote site (vacation house) and alert me when the temperature goes out of range.  I considered the LaCrosse products but they all seem to use batteries.  I'm only at that house once a year, so batteries don't work for me.  Same with the Aeon above.  I'm still looking for the right product.

@Schoondoggy... those are really cool but I think they're a little overboard for what I need. But it's still nice to know those things exist.

@BSR... In my case, battery-operated is fine as this house is occupied all-year round. Plus, I really don't need to log temp readings. (Though, I might find use for these on an unrelated project)

Anyway, it seems like a toss between these two... and with the budget I have, I'd probably get one of each. :P

http://www.ebay.com/itm/308-1711BL-La-Crosse-Technology-Wireless-Weather-Station-with-TX141TH-A-Sensor-/271389315516?pt=US_Weather_Meters&hash=item3f301051bc

or this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AcuRite-Wireless-Thermometer-Humidity-00611A2-Indoor-Outdoor-/390756891887?pt=US_Weather_Meters&hash=item5afaecfcef

I'm leaning towards the La Crosse as you can preset a temperature limit and once those are breached, it sounds off an alert. The house is pretty much occupied most of the time so I think this will work. It also shows min/max temp recorded throughout the day.

The AcuRite is a bit more basic for 10 bucks less than the La Crosse. But it still records the max temp reading, which is the more useful value when you're living in a tropical country. Though, it doesn't provide an alert. Both have wireless 'outdoor' sensors so it adds flexibility on the base unit's placement.

Are these brands any good?

No experience with AcuRite.  I've had mixed luck with LaCrosse.  I love their battery chargers.

I used to have a LaCrosse temperature monitor that had four remotes in various parts of the house (one outside).  All temps were displayed on the base.  I liked it until I had to put new batteries in one of the sensors.  Each time a sensor has the battery changed I had to go through the procedure of reconnecting it to the main monitor.  When the batteries on the monitor needed changing I had to reconnect ALL the sensors again.  I eventually stopped using it because it was such a pain.  Neat idea, but nobody thought of a way to keep that configuration in NVRAM or something so it didn't need to be set up over and over.

Thanks BSR.

Definitely, La Crosse makes one of the best smart chargers. Up until a few days ago, I didn't realize they made weather instruments.

Replacing batteries wouldn't be a problem in my case since the remote sensor will just be inside the server closet. And based on the many reviews, I think it's the sub-zero temperature during the winter months that's wrecking havoc with battery life. No such problem here.

But aside from the annoyance when changing batteries, it's nice to know that you're not having any reliability problems with your La Crosse temp monitors. I think I'll get one.

Thanks!

A bit more basic might be something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0054U4YKI/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A20ANCJS9NOCG6

It's a USB temperature sensor.  At $11.30 you could get two (if you have two spare USB ports) and run the sensor for one outside your cabinet to monitor the room temp.

I've been looking for something to monitor the temperature at a remote site (vacation house) and alert me when the temperature goes out of range.  I considered the LaCrosse products but they all seem to use batteries.  I'm only at that house once a year, so batteries don't work for me.  Same with the Aeon above.  I'm still looking for the right product.

Boy, those things sure get some lousy reviews :(  Otherwise, they seem like a great idea.