RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WiFi PCIe card on Gen8

Manolo

Hello. 

I have recently purchased a Gen8 Microserver (G2020T, 120Intel SSD & 2xWD 2TB RAID 1) and managed to install Windows Server 2012 R2 (downgraded the B120i drivers)

I am now trying to install a PCIe WiFi card, specifically the Asus PCE-N53 with Ralink RT5592 chipset.

Had a nasty surprise when I discovered there are absolutely no drivers available for Windows Server. (never crossed my mind there would be no drivers)

I get a BSOD IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL error when booting with the card in the system.

Has anyone had any experience with installing a wifi card on windows server 2012 r2?

Thanks.

Yes. The installer exits with "Your operating system is not supported".

I am now looking for the .inf files for that chipset. The ralink website has merged with medialink and all the links i find on the net for drivers do not work.

Hello.

I have recently purchased a Gen8 Microserver (G2020T, 120Intel SSD & 2xWD 2TB RAID 1) and managed to install Windows Server 2012 R2 (downgraded the B120i drivers)

I am now trying to install a PCIe WiFi card, specifically the Asus PCE-N53 with Ralink RT5592 chipset.

Had a nasty surprise when I discovered there are absolutely no drivers available for Windows Server. (never crossed my mind there would be no drivers)

I get a BSOD IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL error when booting with the card in the system.

Has anyone had any experience with installing a wifi card on windows server 2012 r2?

Thanks.

Now the irony is I get this exact bsod problem with my win 7 desktop and a cisco top of the line usb

No idea and haven't been able to solve - I solved my issue with a homeplug.

Let me show you the card I'd use for this task:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106192

The desktop version of the Intel AC 7260.  You get the following advantages:

Wireless AC - super speed with a wireless AC router.  My laptop 7260 (same card, without the PCIe mount and external antenna) gets 500-800Mbps throughput off my ASUS RT-AC66 router

A card that has guaranteed support for just about every Windows OS you can think of (and probably a few non-Windows systems too.  I mean, it's an Intel.

Guaranteed dual-band (2.4GHz/5Ghz) 2x2 Wifi performance, even on 802.11n

A card that has a low-profile bracket included in the box.

Edited by LoneWolf
  • Like 2

Excellent suggestion by LoneWolf, I installed an UniFi AP AC (UAP-AC) at home a couple months ago to try and mitigate Netflix streaming problems for the wife. Absolutely flawless and unbelievable throughput to my HP Phoenix in the man-cave. The desktop adapter is a starting point for sure, make certain you follow up with a good AP or router that supports 802.11ac for sure.

I'd love to find a reliable USB3 solution for 802.11ac, however, I suspect VMware 5.5 would be the showstopper for me.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately that product is not available in my shitty country.

The problem with that driver is that it comes with an installer. The driver files are not accessible.

I have a different suggestion: don't use a WiFi card at all -- use a router that has Client NIC emulation. I have done this in the past with great success. What you do is set the router to Client NIC mode (or whatever name that particularly manufacturer gives to the feature) and then connect one of the router's Ethernet ports to a spare Ethernet port on the server.

The real beauty of this technique is you don't need any special drivers at all; just the ordinary Ethernet Port drivers for the NIC in the server.

Hot Damn, great idea, just got to find another 802.11ac AP, wait what the wife is staring me down like she know's I'm up to something that costs money... :batman