RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

WD® Debuts Surveillance-Class Hard Drive Line

BSR

I just got the black, blue, green, red differences straight....now purple?

Ok...so I have a Synology NAS dedicated to storing images/video from my security camera.  Do I go with WD Red ('cause it's a NAS) or Purple since it's surveillance video? 

.....uhhhhhhh......

hqdefault.jpg

jmwills

Jack Daniels works better for me. 

ikon

Wow, gonna have to check these out. IfF they really do last longer and run well 24/7, they could be a WD Red replacement IMHO. It sounds like these drives are optimised for Write operations. I guess the only question is what their Read performance is like.

nrf

so I use two ordinary drives in raid1 for my surveillance recordings (geniusvision) and I have only 4-5 cameras. will these purples actually do anything for me? And if I chose to switch and keep two purples in raid, any issue?

ShadowPeo

I am using the Seagate equivalent, and certainly less death in them than the NAS standard or Desktop standard drives I have had in the past, but it is also more of a limited sample size TBH so take that with a grain of salt. I am using the Skyhawks in a Synology NAS for Surveillance Station to put it in perspective

nrf

disk death is already an infrequent event for me. I'm having trouble making practical sense out of the advertising verbiage :)