RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

G8 running an E3-1220LV2

Firebaall

I have the Celeron G1610T, running in my G8.

Is anybody here running  the low-powered Xeon?

One of my primary goals for my build was power consumption.  I was aiming to keep the build around 65W.  I'm really tempted to source one of these 17W processors in order to get my power consumption even lower.  The trouble is, they are rare as heck, and usually expensive when you do find one (thinking about looking for a used one).

Edited by Firebaall

I saw that, I'm trying to make contact with a couple vendors in China, and Malaysia.  It seems new stock on the cpu is pretty much limited to the builders that have NOS sitting in the warehouse.  Tough little cpu to track down.

Well, that explains a lot.  Especially seeing them pretty much only in the hands of overseas system builders.

Where did you manage to find yours (if you don't mind me asking)? 

I saw that, I'm trying to make contact with a couple vendors in China, and Malaysia.  It seems new stock on the cpu is pretty much limited to the builders that have NOS sitting in the warehouse.  Tough little cpu to track down.

Are you located in China or Malaysia?

If you are not, I'd tend to avoid vendors from this region in my case, because a lot of counterfeit goods come from there.  Example:  ASUS mainboards (the popular versions) get counterfeited much more than you might think.  Processors sometimes get remarked, too.  There's also a significant market for counterfeit Cisco enterprise networking gear.

Not every vendor is like this, but they are out there.  Also, if you're in North America and something happens during the shipping process getting your product here, you may be out of luck.  And you'll likely have little luck filing a claim with PayPal because the seller is in another country.

Yeah, I'm in Canada.  I've ordered a few times from Asia, and I know what you mean.  Counterfeit ICs are rampant too.  Heck.....I've been wondering if that's not the reason my P222's serial won't register with HP.  lol

@Schoondoggy:

Do you recall the model number of the appliance?  I wonder if that would be a way to source the cpu as well.

Phew!  I bought one from a reputable seller in Taiwan.

$200 shipped, used.

I think this must the last one on the planet up for sale!  I'll be interested in crunching the numbers for power consumption difference.

It will likely only save a buck and a quarter/month in power, at full draw. My goal from the server build's beginning was to get the server to it's lowest power consumption possible.  :P

• Like 1