RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WSE R2 Essentials use dedicated NIC for DHCP

Excellent news, and although I'm sure it has been a right royal pain in the proverbial for you, you've ended up learning far, far more about network infrastucture than you would have if it had just worked.  And now if you look back it all seems fairly obvious that it was a routing issue all along - not quite so obvious when you're in the thick of it at the time!

So what's the next project.......?

Cheers

John

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ChadRT

• jmwills

• jem101

• ikon

Top Posters In This Topic

jmwills

One thing that has not been addressed is this server is complete open to attack.  From what I've read, there is nothing between the server's WAN interface and the internet.

This is true and I have been thinking about that myself! I need something cost effective for sure. I will look around for something and if anyone has any thoughts I am all ears.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Looking at a response to another post of mine it looks as though building another box and installing Untangled on it will accomplish this and many other tasks I need for the network.  However this being the case I have completely negated the need for having DHCP and DNS running on the server  :D

However this being the case I have completely negated the need for having DHCP and DNS running on the server  :D

IIRC, you are running a MicroSoft Windows Domain, correct? If so, then I would say that the statement above isn't really true. With a Windows Domain it's best to have the DHCP Server and DNS on the Domain Controller. IOW, you would disable DHCP on Untangle. You would still have Untangle be a DNS Proxy, but you would configure the Domain Controller to use the Untangle box as a DNS Forwarder.

Not having the Domain Controller as the DHCP server and DNS often leads to odd problems with client computers.

jmwills

Well, in the real world ( see air quotes) there would be a DHCP server and a DNS server.