RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WSE R2 Essentials use dedicated NIC for DHCP

ChadRT

I have a very nice server to work with it is a Dell Power Edge and has plenty of memory and horsepower to last me a lifetime.  I want to use to replace my router completely.  Everything is hardwired but my tablets and phones.  So I once completed I want those to connect to an access point.

I have 3 NIC's in the box one of them is onboard and two are intel pro series.  All of them are 1GBs units

I want to run them like this:

WAN

LAN

BackupInternet

I have the WAN working great and I have DHCP turned on and active in the ServerManager but it wont assign an IP off the other NIC.  Can anyone help me in where I went wrong.  I am very new to this so please be patient with me on my stupidity.

Thanks,

Chad

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• jem101

• ChadRT

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple questions/suggestions:

1) I assume you aren't running Hyper-V (I ask because if one of the NICs were dedicated to Hyper-V you would not see an IP assigned to it from the bare metal server perspective. It *would* still have an IP assigned when looking at your router however, which brings us to...)

2) Have you looked at your routers DHCP settings to ensure it did not assign an IP and/or you have IP space available?

3) Might want to try statically assigning IPs. It is "best practice" anyway for server NICs. Normally I do it by MAC from my router, and then the NIC technically pulls a DHCP IP from the router, but it is always the same IP. You can, instead, assign the NIC an IP directly from the Server OS, which might be best as you troubleshoot.

The server will be handling all aspects of the network.  So the router is set to obtain a static IP from Time Warner cable modem, so there is no actual router in line the WSE box should handle that all.  That part works good, I have full internet access via the box.  I can login remotely and use my app on my win 8 tablet.  This is a first for me, so I am learning as I go.  I think I am going to have a lot of questions about this whole install.  Thank you all in advance for any stupid questions I may ask.  :)

Edited by ChadRT

The TW cable modem has routing functions but they are definitely turned off!  If you hook a device to it, it will not function at all till you tell it to grab an IP by entering the static details.  There is no active DHCP function enabled on the modem.

By backup internet I have a DSL connection that will be installed soon so that when one is not functioning the other will kick in.  Since the phone company provides a very slow connection here 7mbps max it will definitely be used as backup only :)  I have a 50/5 connection by TW.

I have waited too I am not messing with anymore settings on the server till someone can tell me what I did wrong in the first place to make the DHCP not assign IP's on the network.  It shows active but I cannot get any device to successfully acquire an IP from the server.

Which NIC is connected to the modem?  It sounds to me like your server is open to the internet, can you post the first two octets of the IP address?

Essentially what you are trying to do is setup two VLan's which is entirely possible to do, just a little tricky for a first timer.

Chad

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like you want to use your server as an internet gateway / router / firewall device, you have one NIC attached to the modem (let's call this the WAN nic) and another attached to your internal LAN (LAN nic), presumably this is going to some kind of switch and other devices are hanging off of that.

If I'm right so far then your need to enable the routing role on the server (you didn't mention which version of the OS you are using but 2012 and 2008 are very similar). Once you have that part working then the DHCP issue is odd - the first thing I'd check is that the DHCP server network bindings are correct. Open the DHCP management console, right-click on the server name and select Add / Remove bindings. Make sure that the box for the LAN side nic is ticked, actually the other connections can be unticked as you won't want to be providing addresses on those links.

The third connection to a backup internet line is going to be a bit of a challenge as well - you'll need to mess around with the metrics for the two connections to make sure that outbound traffic favours the faster line. You were not thinking about running any sort of server accessible from the outside were you as doing that with multiple lines can be a bit 'entertaining' shall we say.

Just as jmwills says, it's all do'able but a bit tricky for a first timer - and I'm curious as to why you would want to do it? An off-the-shelf router with multiple WAN links will do all the routing and fail-over for you and it'll be much easier to manage than a full-blown server-based system.

Still it'll be an interesting exercise and a good learning experience so good luck.

John 

The company I work for is quite small but we have some powerful software that is super network intensive and brought our old "server" to its knees nearly daily.  The old server was a cheap Win Vista mini pc with a db server and lots of shared folders.  I got us a very nice server, Dell PowerEdge T110, I got this because I wanted to learn them.  When I decide to learn something new I usually jump in head first into the biggest pool (or ocean in this case) as possible.  :D

John

You are correct in every assumption, I even have the NIC's labeled exactly how you describe them WAN and LAN.  I am running Windows Server 2012R2 Essentials.  Now that you mention it I can already see some of the horrors involved in setting up services accessible to the outside world if I have backup internet.  DNS for any public domains would be broken when a connection is down etc.  So we can scratch that idea! 

In order to bind the DHCP server to a given NIC it must have a static IP assigned to it.  Using this scenario when I set static in the adaptor manager it is because I am telling the adaptor which IP to acquire?  So if there is no server beyond the Windows Server I am working with then that means that I am telling the NIC that it will act as though it has acquired that static IP?  Which in turn becomes the IP the DHCP sever for that NIC?

So I have followed those instructions and now my devices on my test network are getting an IP assigned IP from the server within the specified range in my scope.  But those computers are not able to browse the internet.  I am however able to browse the intranet with out difficulties I was able to access the servers RWA and Connector pages.

So I think I need to be looking in the routing or DNS now to figure out why the internet wont work with this setup?  Also I checked the Event Viewer and there are some DNS warnings and alerts there 404, 407, 408.

Edited by ChadRT

OK then we seem to be making progress now, can you check

The LAN nic card has a static private IP address and the WAN card is set for DHCP (this is assuming that your ISP does things that way - they may give you a static address to put it instead

Can you browse the internet on the server itself?

Are the client PCs getting the proper values for their IP addresses from the DHCP server, the important thing here is that the default gateway address is the IP address of the LAN card in the server

If the above is all working then have to installed the RRAS role on the server and run through the wizards making sure that you have enable the routing part and set it to do the NAT?

Without the RRAS role installed on the server (which basically turns it into a router) there will be no means to route traffic between the different WAN and LAN networks or to do NAT.

One tip might be to (temporarily) disable the BackupInternet card which without anything attached to it will just be 'flapping in the breeze' so to speak and may well complicate matters. We can deal with getting that working a bit later.

John 

LAN:

192.168.1.1  Static

255.255.255.0  Subnet

192.168.1.1  Default Gateway

8.8.8.8 DNS 1

8.8.4.4 DNS 2

WAN:

STATIC CREDENTIALS PROVIDED BY TW

They have also provided us with reverse DNS and I have custom domain name pointing to our static IP that I have been using for my remote access pages.

• Internet works very good from the terminal of the server itself
  • I can VPN to the server and I can browse the server resources but once connected no internet access
  • On my test network the two computers I have attached to the switch connected to the LAN NIC are getting proper creds including all the entered IP, Gateway, Subnet and DNS entries.
  • The backup NIC is actually the GB adaptor that is on the motherboard, I have disabled it as of just now.  That was weird I was booted from the RDP session when I disabled it but it let me reconnect immediately.
  • Under the Remote Access Role I have "Direct Access and VPN (RAS)" Installed and I also have "Routing" Installed!
  • I have access to the RRAS Console

I have provided a bunch of information regarding my setup hopefully we make heads or tails of this info and get this up and running...

Thank you BTW for all your help!  I am literate with computers but this has been a whole new frontier for me.  I could not do it without help from the forums and especially thanks to you John.  I am grateful for your assistance!!

Chad