RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

UPS

jmwills

Can anyone recommend one that will integrate with Version 1? I am looking for one that will tell the server to shutdown before the battery completely dies.

I am using an Eaton 5110 now but it is not highly recommended for Server 2003. The APC units look good.

Go for the APC or CypberPower. They are both wonderful units and I have 2 of each. You can usually get a better deal on the CyberPower but either is a good choice and both work with Grid Junction.

I am running cyberpower with grid junction. Works great. TigerDirect usually has good sales on them.

I'm a Liebert man myself, but that's because I'm old school and think a UPS should last as long as your house. These days people tend to think of UPS' as commodity items that get tossed out every few years. In that vein, APC is fine. I would only caution to make sure it has the features needed to be supported by Grid Junction. I do know that not every APC is supported. I had to set my own UPS up using the Windows Server 2003 Power Options control panel because it's not supported by GJ.

I use APC Back-UPS ES 550. Basically connected it, shoved the usb cable into my WHS, booted up, installed Grid Junction add-in, that's it! Grid Junction found the UPS and started monitoring instantly.

Thanks gentlemen. I did some research I did find the APC a little more freindly for me especially since the software was versioned for WHS. We have too many power issues here and I just cannot afford to have that Acer server die on me. 5 TB worth of TV shows and movies are worth their weight in gold out here.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Thanks gentlemen. I did some research I did find the APC a little more freindly for me especially since the software was versioned for WHS. We have too many power issues here and I just cannot afford to have that Acer server die on me. 5 TB worth of TV shows and movies are worth their weight in gold out here.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Suggest you use grid junction instead of the apc software. Grid Junction is an actual add-in and will work more seamlessly.

I agree with ImThatTypeOfGuy. Do not use the APC software. Use grid junction and you will not have to be limited to APC. They are great but so it Cyber Power.

I do believe that the Grid Junction ReadMe even states that you should NOT install the APC software (or any other UPS software) alongside Grid Junction. It's a great tool and does exactly what I need it to. I get to watch all the wonderfull alarms as the voltage pits and spikes in my abfab St. Louis NoCo home!

I do believe that the Grid Junction ReadMe even states that you should NOT install the APC software (or any other UPS software) alongside Grid Junction.

That's right. Install Grid Junction, only. Skip the software that comes with the UPS. BTW - Grid Junction is working just fine with my APC ES 550.