RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N54L with graphics card and SATA controller card

superrip

Hi

I have recently got a HP N54L 4 bay server. It already has a graphics card installed (ATI Radeon HD6450)

The plan is to turn the 5.25" bay into a 6 x 2.5" bay using the icy dock ToughArmor MB996SP-6SB.

I was wondering if it is possible to add an addition 4 port SATA controller card in the PCI slot?

I have found 1 4pin molex power port for the Icy dock ToughArmor. Am I missing a power connection somewhere or do i need to convert a port?

Thanks for any help given

Edited by superrip

Before anything else, can you check out how many PCIe lanes that SATA card requires? I suspect most, if not all, 4-port SATA cards require at least a x4 PCIe slot, if not a x8. Since I presume the HD6450 is using the larger PCIe slot in the N54L, I believe you only have a x1 slot left.

That is correct. the graphics card is not a priority so it can be removed if needs be.

but what about the power to the icy dock?

Edited by superrip

I presume you could just use the power connector that was installed for an optical drive. You might require an adapter cable, depending on what connectors are involved.

Hi Superrip and Welcome to the Forums!   When you get a chance introduce yourself http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/344-welcome-to-homeservershowcom-forums-introduce-yourself-here/

For the power it looks like you'll need a Molex Y splitter like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812198025