RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N40L, WHS2011 > SE2012R2, Worth it?

schoondoggy

Looks good, I would recommend a SSD for the OS. I like to keep the OS and data separate from each other.

As for your data drives I prefer RAID controllers like the HP P222, but that is an added expense. If you are comfortable with drive pooling, that is a cost effective way to go.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Trig0r

• jmwills

• schoondoggy

• Drashna Jaelre

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was here first.  And not my fault you followed me (and probably my advice to check out here, as more active HP MicroServer community)    Depends on exactly what you want here.   For the most

Per our conversation; My current HP MS Gen 8 HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Ultra Micro Tower Server System Intel Celeron G1610T 2.3GHz 2C/2T 2GB No Hard Drive Operating System None 712317-001 Intel

schoondoggy

Clarifying cables:

LSI/3Ware CBL-SFF8087OCF-06M SFF-8087 to SATA Cable to connect B120i to WD VR drives

www.ebay.com/itm/New-LSI-3Ware-CBL-SFF8087OCF-06M-SFF-8087-to-SATA-Cable-/200541392883?pt=US_Drive_Cables_dapters&hash=item2eb132cff3
Rosewill 8" Sata Power Splitter Cable Model RCW-302 Molex to two SATA connectors to power drives

www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=Rosewill+8"+Sata+Power+Splitter+Cable+Model+RCW-302&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Athena Power CABLE-YPHD 8" Molex Y Splitted Power Cable Molex to two Molex connectors to power drives

www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=Athena+Power+CABLE-YPHD+8"+Molex+Y+Splitted+Power+Cable+&N=-1&isNodeId=1

BYTECC Model SATA-XP118 18" Sata and Slim Sata Power 7+6pin Cable, power and data for Sata Slim OD

www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=BYTECC+Model+SATA-XP118+18"+Sata+and+Slim+Sata+Power+7%2B6pin+Cable%2C+for+Sata+Slim+OD&N=-1&isNodeId=1

New OEM Dell MX714 Floppy FDD to Sata Power Converter Cable convert floppy power to sata for odd

www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-Dell-MX714-Floppy-FDD-to-Sata-Power-Converter-Cable-/400298253923?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d33a29e63

KINGWIN Model SAC-05 8" SATA Power Adapter Cable Convert sata to molex for odd

www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=KINGWIN+Model+SAC-05+8"+SATA+Power+Adapter+Cable&N=-1&isNodeId=1

I will try to get you some pictures.

Hi,

I have also an N40L.... and I am also wondering what can I use AFTER WHS2011 ... But the Windows Server 2012 Essent. etc... are terrible expensive arent they ?

I mean as a home user - Ok I paid 50 € for the OS... But 400 for the 2012 ? Or is there any other option for Provate users to get this at a reasonable cost ?

Thx

jmwills

and detail what benefits you think 2012/Essentails/R2 will give you.  NO benefits= no migration in my book for a production system.

satego, I think it's perhaps a little early to worry about what to move to. WHS2011 is supported for a fair while yet, so why not stick with it for now?

Hi ,

well thanks a lot for your answers ...

Indeed its not needed for me to Change - all I do with teh WHS is storing Musik, Pictures, TV recordings etc... and stream them in the House. (and backup of Clients)

I just was wondering what Home users can do once WHS 2011 will be stopped to be supported.....(As XP is now)

Also if really Server 2012 in the cheapest Version is 400€ or anyone knows a cheaper one/source.

Thx

jmwills

There is only a few sources and they will all be about that price.  You only other option is to go MSDN or Technet.  I'd stay with WHS 2011 for the immediate future.

2012's a good system but given what you use 2011 for then theres no point in upgrading, especially when the cost comes into it...

And Technet's not an option any more....

Remember, tech moves fast. Who knows what might come onto the market between now and when WHS2011 expires. Also, since I never surf or do email from my server, and it's never exposed directly to the Internet, just how important are security updates for it anyway? I suspect my real reason for having to move away from WHS2011 will be that new tech just makes it obsolete.