RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N40L, WHS2011 > SE2012R2, Worth it?

I've got an N40L here, 16gb of RAM in it, only 8Gb of which is being picked up, so that got me thinking, do I upgrade the OS or do I keep the N40L as is and see if I can get a cheap Gen 8 box and install 2012SE r2 on that and then retire the WHS box?

Am I really going to gain a lot over WHS2011?

I dont tend to touch the server much, Drivepool and Scanner from Stablebit look after the drives and the Launchpad deals with backups etc.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Trig0r

• schoondoggy

• jmwills

• Drashna Jaelre

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was here first.  And not my fault you followed me (and probably my advice to check out here, as more active HP MicroServer community)    Depends on exactly what you want here.   For the most

Per our conversation; My current HP MS Gen 8 HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Ultra Micro Tower Server System Intel Celeron G1610T 2.3GHz 2C/2T 2GB No Hard Drive Operating System None 712317-001 Intel

You've described the the environment pretty well, but what are you actually using it for?  That will answer your question.

As it stands my current WHS2011 setup does nothing outside of backing up machines, sharing media via SMB shares and running Plex.

I'd like to be able to actually use all 16Gb, stupid me for not checking the actual OS limitations before I went and spent the money on the RAM lol

I wouldnt mind moving my VM back to the server rather than having it running via Hyper-V on my main Win8.1 machine which was one of the reasons I put the extra RAM in the box in the first place, its also struggling to transcode via Plex which is also why I might just give it balls and get a Gen8 box instead, or maybe change media player/streaming software to something that'll use a GPU for transcoding...

I currently run a home built WHS version 1 and have done so since the beta days. My eco system is primarily Windows 8.1.  I have previously installed purchased versions of 2010 and 2011 and currently own an uninstalled version of 2012 R2 Essentials.  However, I keep going back to version 1 each time because it just worked under any conditions.

Currently I transcode all of my videos to mp4s before I place them on the whs v1 server.  The mp4s are ripped from DVDs utilizing dvdfab (http://dvdfab.com).  I record TV shows utilizing a Ceton tuner (http://cetoncorp.com).  I also convert these to mp4s from their native wtv format before placing them on the server.  All mp4s are served internally through  apple tv boxes utilizing firecores (http://firecore.com)   aTV black flash or through a DLNA wireless house connection.  I can also access and stream anything on this server with the standard whs v1 windows phone app or through the server remote access logon.  I run a small website on this server as well.

BUT . . .   the 2003 server that whs v1 is based on has seen better days and soon will lose support so I'd like to modernize.  I like what I see regarding HP Gen 8 servers (micro and towers).  I also like what 2012 r2 essentials offers and am currently running  a Non-Domain test utilizing my TechNet copy on a standard box.  I have been following the forums here regarding all of this and so far I have not reached a tipping point on what would be the best way for me to go especially in light of HPs recent support policy changes.  Add to that the domain arguments and the plethora of builds and rebuilds offered here ... well, I'm more confused!

So . . . what to do about all of this?  Would someone here like to throw me a flotation device and settle my confusion once and for all?  Buhler .... Buhler...  anyone...?

Drashna Jaelre

Dude, stop following me... ;)

I was here first. 

And not my fault you followed me :P (and probably my advice to check out here, as more active HP MicroServer community) 

I currently run a home built WHS version 1 and have done so since the beta days. My eco system is primarily Windows 8.1.  I have previously installed purchased versions of 2010 and 2011 and currently own an uninstalled version of 2012 R2 Essentials.  However, I keep going back to version 1 each time because it just worked under any conditions.

Currently I transcode all of my videos to mp4s before I place them on the whs v1 server.  The mp4s are ripped from DVDs utilizing dvdfab (http://dvdfab.com).  I record TV shows utilizing a Ceton tuner (http://cetoncorp.com).  I also convert these to mp4s from their native wtv format before placing them on the server.  All mp4s are served internally through  apple tv boxes utilizing firecores (http://firecore.com)   aTV black flash or through a DLNA wireless house connection.  I can also access and stream anything on this server with the standard whs v1 windows phone app or through the server remote access logon.  I run a small website on this server as well.

BUT . . .   the 2003 server that whs v1 is based on has seen better days and soon will lose support so I'd like to modernize.  I like what I see regarding HP Gen 8 servers (micro and towers).  I also like what 2012 r2 essentials offers and am currently running  a Non-Domain test utilizing my TechNet copy on a standard box.  I have been following the forums here regarding all of this and so far I have not reached a tipping point on what would be the best way for me to go especially in light of HPs recent support policy changes.  Add to that the domain arguments and the plethora of builds and rebuilds offered here ... well, I'm more confused!

So . . . what to do about all of this?  Would someone here like to throw me a flotation device and settle my confusion once and for all?  Buhler .... Buhler...  anyone...?

Depends on exactly what you want here.

For the most part WHS2011 .... or even a client version of Windows gets most of what you've described here. Add StableBit DrivePool or Drive Bender, and you get the pooling feature from WHSv1 (but better)

To be honest, if you're still looking for the WHS features, then go WHS2011. It's updated and works better. But you will probably want to get Drive Pooling software.

But if you are or are planning on running Windows 8 machines, then using Server 2012 or 2012R2 Essentials may be a better idea.

• Like 1

I was here first. 

And not my fault you followed me :P (and probably my advice to check out here, as more active HP MicroServer community) 

Yup, exactly that.

Given my requirements since starting to use Plex for the ATV's I have changed I'm not sure if any of the Microservers will do and given I have a spare rig thats doing next to nothing I might move the Plex server side of things to that and get that to do the transcoding, that way I can leave the server as it is and get a bit more use out of the spare box I have thats is currently just sat there running cgminer on its 270x and nothing else...

schoondoggy

Per our conversation;

My current HP MS Gen 8

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Ultra Micro Tower Server System Intel Celeron G1610T 2.3GHz 2C/2T 2GB No Hard Drive Operating System None 712317-001

Intel E3-1220LV2

16GB two HYNIX HMT41GU7MFR8C-PB

HP P222/512MB LP bracket

Four Hitachi Hitachi 5400rpm 2TB SATA 6Gb/s drives

Two WD VR 300GB 6Gb/s drives mounted on Schoondoggy SDM bracket

Panasonic UJ252 Blu-Ray drive with Schoondoggy SOC clip

LSI/3Ware CBL-SFF8087OCF-06M SFF-8087 to SATA Cable to connect B120i to WD VR drives

Rosewill 8" Sata Power Splitter Cable Model RCW-302 and Athena Power CABLE-YPHD 8" Molex Y Splitted Power Cable BYTECC Model SATA-XP118 18" Sata and Slim Sata Power 7+6pin Cable, for Sata Slim OD New OEM Dell MX714 Floppy FDD to Sata Power Converter Cable KINGWIN Model SAC-05 8" SATA Power Adapter Cable
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I just made my mind up on what hardware I want.  I placed orders for the following stuff and it should all be here no later than Friday the 14th of March:

1. HP Proliant Ultra Micro Tower Server 1 x Intel Pentium G2020T 2.5p GHz

2. Intel Xeon E3-1265L V@ 2.5 GHz Processor - Socket H2 LGA-155

3. 4 x Western Digital 4 TB WD Red Sata III 5400 RPM 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM NAS Hard Drives

4. 2 x Kingston Technology 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz PC3-12800 ECC DIMM Memory for Select HP/Compaq Desktops KTH-PL316E/8G

5. Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound 3.5 Grams with ArticClean 60 ML Kit

6. New-iLO Adv 1-Svr incl 1yr TS&U SW - 512485B21 (MITECH)

Now, I'm going to have to figure out what I need in the way of connectors; Raid Arrays or Drive Bender/Stablebit; Separate OS array or not and spinners or SSD's for that; Extra Raid card or not ...

I already have a purchased copy of Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials.

I will probably test the server with nothing added to it (as shipped) with a TechNet copy of 2012 R2 Essentials and an old hard drive or two just to trial it out before adding any of the new stuff.

Just thought I'd run this by you guys to see if you have any comments on this.

Of course, I'm going to do a review of whatever I can find online about the server and OS before the stuff arrives.

I await your suggestions and wisdom . . .

barcode