RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

My migration from 2012 Essentials to R2

This past weekend, I decided to take the plunge from 2012 Essentials to essentials R2.  I was amazed at how smooth the transition was!  My Storage space (Thin + 2x mirrored) was immediately read\writable, exact settings (obviously) will need to be redone however no 'real' problems (so far) are noticable.  I upgraded the Storage Pool (via server manager) so now I have no 'easy' path to go back.  I am noticing i have a 'Critical' alert stating to 'Check the storage pool for possible errors.'  I hesitate to turn off the drive scan as I run the risk of future problems not being reported from Action Centre.

Note: I ran checks (visual and drive scans) prior to migration, no errors\problems found before upgrading.  All pooled drives were untouched and worked flawlessly in V1 days for over a year.  Everything is attached \ running \ accessible \ accounted for in Device manager and EFI (BIOS).

My pool consists of 4x 3TB WD NAS (Red) drives. 

Steps attempted to correct the 'reported' error:

1 - Ran scan and repair from Storage tab, no change.  Runs to successful completion and completion log shows no problems.

2 - Checked event logs (System and Application), nothing obvious found.

3 - Tried to run chkdsk/f (doesn't work, cannot unlock drive), suspect since it's a type of RAID, this is not possible.

4 - Checked BPA scan, nothing obvious found.

5 - Checked Storage spaces in Control panel, all drives attached are healthy (green check)

6 - The client backup folder was a bit larger than expected, It remembered backups from old\retired PCs that I disconnected months ago.   I deleted these backups (from the archived section on Dashboard) however the error still comes back..

7 - All data in the pool is fine, checked all folders and they are accessible.  4TB of data, not possible to check each and every file.  I checked several random files, all seem to be ok.

Upgrade consisted of changing to a new SSD for the OS (no errors reported on this drive).   The problem is definately showing on the storage pool (Drive D) only.  I suspect it is a false detected error however not sure what to try to do next. 

If I really need to, I can offload the data to external NAS drives (bit of a pain) and recreate the Storage Space and move the data back. Time is not of the essence to repair,  however will take a while even on wired 1GB LAN....

Any thoughts \ suggestions would be appreciated to fix this error!

Would you be able to post a screenshot of the pool/problem? Is the error at the disk level or the pool level? Are you using NTFS or ReFS?

In PowerShell, run:

Get-VirtualDisk

Get-VirtualDisk -FriendlyName <NameHere> | fl *

Repair-VirtualDisk -FriendlyName <FriendlyNameHere>

If at the pool level, use the Get-StoragePool command...

If it's a disk problem, as a last resort, you could create a new virtual disk (thin + 2-way mirror + ReFS) and just copy from one pool to the other? You're effectively copying from the same disks back to the same disks.

Sounds like a weird problem, especially since disks aren't reporting issues. I'm planning to move from Standard 2012 to R2 shortly, so I'll have feedback on whether I have any similar issues.

I know that there are times that when the pool is repairing, it'll give you a weird error like that, but tell you that everything is fine or it's complete. How long has the error been there?

• Like 1

Hi Boris,

Running as NTFS, unaware if Storage Spaces 'must' be ReFS formatted or not.   I'll need to snap the screen shot later tonight when I am at home.  

I 'believe' the error is spawning from the pool level as the individual disks are reporting no issues.   I just installed the OS on a new hard drive this past Sunday afternoon, so its been nagging me since then. While the OS was installing, I disconnected the data\pooled drives, then reconnected once the install completed.  It read the pool immediately, so I upgraded the pool via the Server manager file upgrade option.    The error was present prior to this upgrade as I thought this may correct it.  Unfortunately, it is still there.  I just shut off the reporting feature in Action Centre to bypass the alert.   I'd prefer not to do this as I could be setting myself up for catastrophe later...

I'm currently offloading the data to my NAS, so I plan to simply delete the pool and start from scratch.   Since I have successfully completed a full backup of the server, I don't see problems recreating and returning to 'normal'.  I think I may recreate as ReFS as you suggest, may clear up a number of potential issues.

As the disks seem to be stable, I think it's a residual of being a pool brought over to an upgraded (reinstalled that is) OS so recreating the pool with the same server OS might clear up any odd ball issues.

I'll post once I get everything back and advise. Best of luck on your future migration, it goes without saying 'backup' before you venture over to R2!  Other than this strange issue, mine was remarkably simple and uneventful.

Thanks again for your suggestions!

This past weekend, I decided to take the plunge from 2012 Essentials to essentials R2.  I was amazed at how smooth the transition was!  

How did you do the migration?  Sorry I know that is not your question, but I am curious.

"Upgrade consisted of changing to a new SSD for the OS (no errors reported on this drive)"  So basically he/she did a clean install if I read this correctly.

@ Big Worm - The term 'migration' I used may have been misleading.  I replaced the original hard drive and installed a clean R2 on a new SSD.   I migrated (actually upgraded)  the pool, via server manager -> File and Storage Services -> Storage Pools.  There's an option in Physical disks section to enhance the pool's performance (not exactly sure of the wording).  jmwills is exactly correct  (I am a he BTW LOL!).  In a real sense, I migrated to a new SSD drive for the OS.  I've read everywhere there is no migration path to R2, its a clean install only as far as I have read.

It took about an hour or so after turning disk monitoring back on for the dreaded error to return.   Still running the copies to the NAS so waiting for that to finish.   I the attachment, you may see the totals not matching.  I have 3x 3TB reds and 1x 2TB green in the pool (~10TB and change) whereas the pool itself reads 11.6 TB.  That is changeable however I don't believe the value would cause the pool drive issue.  At least it didn't report it in R1.  I just manually bumped it one day to get rid of the low space warning a few months ago in R1.

Well, my files are now on my NAS, the server backup has another copy just in case. File\directory counts and space match, time to go for the big delete!  I read on this forum somewhere the only good backup is a verified backup, Love that!   

So, step 1 -  I needed to delete the Storage pool, had an error stating its in use, access denied.  Not sure how the admins feel about posting links however TechNet had a great solution.  Format the drive, then delete the pool and recreate as new.  Worked like a charm. 

Recreated, 2-way mirror - ReFS..  Voila, error to check drives is gone (hopefully for ever)!!!   Now just the daunting task to copy the data back and create the folders & permissions.  No big deal.

I think my upgrade has me all over the map.  So far, no data loss (to this point) so am VERY pleased.   Luckily, have lots of spare drive space so recreating the pool isn't a big deal, just consumes time.  I consider the pool delete\recreate and file movement minor in comparison to what 'could' have happened....

In comparison, my WHS2011 to WS2012E R1 last year was a horrible experience.  Lost 3 drives that time so at first I thought I lost almost everything.  Lucky for me that time most files were recoverable from client PCs so about 95% was saved and no pictures were lost so wife didn't kill me.

Everybody's  mileage will vary with their own upgrade path to WSE2k12 R2, however this wasn't 100% flawless, just a couple minor bumps so far.

I'll post my final thoughts when all is complete, I suspect should be done mostly overnight (EST timezone here)

Thanks to all above for your thoughts and time taken to assist!

@ Big Worm - The term 'migration' I used may have been misleading.  I replaced the original hard drive and installed a clean R2 on a new SSD.   I migrated (actually upgraded)  the pool, via server manager -> File and Storage Services -> Storage Pools.  There's an option in Physical disks section to enhance the pool's performance (not exactly sure of the wording).  jmwills is exactly correct  (I am a he BTW LOL!).  In a real sense, I migrated to a new SSD drive for the OS.  I've read everywhere there is no migration path to R2, its a clean install only as far as I have read.

It took about an hour or so after turning disk monitoring back on for the dreaded error to return.   Still running the copies to the NAS so waiting for that to finish.   I the attachment, you may see the totals not matching.  I have 3x 3TB reds and 1x 2TB green in the pool (~10TB and change) whereas the pool itself reads 11.6 TB.  That is changeable however I don't believe the value would cause the pool drive issue.  At least it didn't report it in R1.  I just manually bumped it one day to get rid of the low space warning a few months ago in R1.

Oh I see.  So you don't run a domain I take it.

No domain here, no real need for my home network.  I'm very familiar with domains and their value & necessity in the enterprise however my wife and older kids really have no desire for accounts and backend GPO and\or policies in place.  Their machines are backed up automatically so that is about the extent of their needs.

I finally got everything copied back, no more errors regarding the pooled disk.  Still, rather mysterious in the rearview mirror for what\why this occurred however without in depth PD and research, just a simple recreate\repopulate was 'easier' to correct.  Overall, the upgrade was easy and practically seamless.  All that's left is setup of WDS and WSUS so I consider a resounding success. 

oots

So far, R2 does seem to be less of a resource hog (yet), boots up quick and allows remotedesktop inbound connections in very quickly.  Your mileage may vary however seems like a nice logical step upin my home server path.

Thanks to all for taking the time to guide and read my thoughts!

Jim