upsidedowncake

Remote Web Access works from iPhone, not MacBook Air

upsidedowncake

Ran into a bit of an odd issue with running Remote Web Access on my WHS 2011.  I've been trying to connect to my domain (upsidedowncake.homeserver.com) and can get to the login page on my MacBook Air, but when I try to login I get 'Critical Error - Remote Web Access' which then says 'Cannot connect to Remote Web Access. Please contact the person who manages the server.' on the page.  This was using Safari, Chrome, or Firefox on my MacBook Air (Mavericks OS), AND trying Internet Explorer through Parallels 9.

I then tried to access the domain through my iPhone, both on my WiFi network and on LTE, both worked flawlessly and I was able to access all files.  At first I thought this was a port forwarding issue, but if my iPhone works then would it be something else?  I've forwarded all of the ports that I've found impact Remote Web Access (80 - 443 - 4125 - 3389).  I have not tried connecting from my Win 7 computer, as it is a desktop that stays on my WiFi.  The real functionality I want is to be able to connect via my laptop.  Any help is appreciated, thanks!

One more thing I tried, I tried removing cookies on all three browsers which I had read people had success with.  No luck.

ikon

Two things:

1. have your tried disabling the firewall on your Mac (temporarily) to see if it's blocking something?
  2. have you tried teathering your Mac to your iPhone to see if it can login?

upsidedowncake

Thanks for the responses.  Should I be looking for the event logs on the server or somewhere on the Mac do you think?

Ikon - tried disabling the firewall and adding safari as an allowed app and neither worked.  I can't tether to my iphone as I don't have that available on my cellular account.

That did get me thinking though so I tried to connect via a personal HotSpot I have for work (connects via LTE).  Still no dice.

I did check the event viewer on the server and there is a recurring error, just not sure if it is related.

It says Event 100, Bonjour Services: Task Scheduling Error: m->NextScheduledSPRetry 73782872

upsidedowncake

Getting the same 'Critical Error' on my iPad as well as my Win7 PC so it would seem that my iPhone is the only device working.

upsidedowncake

jmwills - I may have been wrong.  Digging through the event logs this morning I found this Event 1310, ASP.NET 4.0.30319.0.  It references Remote Web Access in the error, so maybe this points to the issue?

Event code: 3008 
Event message: A configuration error has occurred. 
Event time: 2/23/2014 9:53:19 AM 
Event time (UTC): 2/23/2014 2:53:19 PM 
Event ID: d276dcc8c3ec4fb78b730bf725fbcb37 
Event sequence: 13 
Event occurrence: 1 
Event detail code: 0 

Application information: 
    Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT/Remote-2-130376407785090177 
    Trust level: Full 
    Application Virtual Path: /Remote 
    Application Path: C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WebApps\RemoteAccess\ 
    Machine name: UPSIDEDOWNCAKE 

Process information: 
    Process ID: 6492 
    Process name: w3wp.exe 
    Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE 

Exception information: 
    Exception type: ConfigurationErrorsException 
    Exception message: Could not load file or assembly 'MySql.Web, Version=6.7.4.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c5687fc88969c44d' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. (C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Config\machine.config line 246)
   at System.Web.Profile.ProfileBase.InitializeStatic()
   at System.Web.Profile.ProfileBase.Create(String username, Boolean isAuthenticated)
   at System.Web.HttpContext.get_Profile()
   at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Web.RemoteAccessSite.BuiltIns.Homepage.GadgetPersonalizationProvider.LoadPersonalizationBlobs(WebPartManager webPartManager, String path, String userName, Byte[]& sharedDataBlob, Byte[]& userDataBlob)
   at System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts.PersonalizationProvider.LoadPersonalizationState(WebPartManager webPartManager, Boolean ignoreCurrentUser)
   at System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts.WebPartPersonalization.Load()
   at System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts.WebPartPersonalization.LoadInternal()
   at System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
   at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Web.RemoteAccessSite.RealPageHandler.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Could not load file or assembly 'MySql.Web, Version=6.7.4.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c5687fc88969c44d' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
   at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.GetTypeByName(String name, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean reflectionOnly, StackCrawlMarkHandle stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean loadTypeFromPartialName, ObjectHandleOnStack type)
   at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.GetTypeByName(String name, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean reflectionOnly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean loadTypeFromPartialName)
   at System.Type.GetType(String typeName, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase)
   at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetType(String typeName, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase)
   at System.Web.Configuration.ConfigUtil.GetType(String typeName, String propertyName, ConfigurationElement configElement, XmlNode node, Boolean checkAptcaBit, Boolean ignoreCase)

Request information: 
    Request path: /remote 
    User host address: 100.33.80.232 
    User: UPSIDEDOWNCAKE\Upsidedowncake 
    Is authenticated: True 
    Authentication Type: Forms 
    Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE 

Thread information: 
    Thread ID: 29 
    Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE 
    Is impersonating: False 
    Stack trace:    at System.Web.Profile.ProfileBase.InitializeStatic()
   at System.Web.Profile.ProfileBase.Create(String username, Boolean isAuthenticated)
   at System.Web.HttpContext.get_Profile()
   at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Web.RemoteAccessSite.BuiltIns.Homepage.GadgetPersonalizationProvider.LoadPersonalizationBlobs(WebPartManager webPartManager, String path, String userName, Byte[]& sharedDataBlob, Byte[]& userDataBlob)
   at System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts.PersonalizationProvider.LoadPersonalizationState(WebPartManager webPartManager, Boolean ignoreCurrentUser)
   at System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts.WebPartPersonalization.Load()
   at System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts.WebPartPersonalization.LoadInternal()
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
   at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Web.RemoteAccessSite.RealPageHandler.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Custom event details: 

jmwills

What browser are you using and have you tried multiple browsers on that machine?  I can at least see the site with FireFox and Chrome.

You also might try disabling all security on the device and see what happens and if you can get in , start enabling one security protocol at a time until you find the issue.

upsidedowncake

Yeah, tried it in multiple browsers on all machines.  I can see the website in all browsers, but when I enter my login information and hit go I receive the error.  Except on my iPhone which has no issues through Safari.

And for the security, I tried to disable antivirus and firewalls on both the clients and the server with no luck.

jmwills

To recap, it's onlt the Mzcbook air?

upsidedowncake

Nope, Win 7 PC, iPad and MacBook Air all have the same 'Critical Error'.  The iPhone is successful for some reason.  I've tried multiple browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and IE in Parallels) on both the MacBook Air and the Win 7 PC.  

I setup the forwarding of the ports to the IP of my server.  The same ports don't have to be forwarded for each machine do they?