RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

From Show 93 - Mini ITX Case that holds more than 2 Hard Drives

jcollison

That price is insane. By the time you add the processor, two drives, RAM, etc; you would up around $700 unless the board in question is an Atom board. I keep going over the Dell Outlet site and for $550 you can get an i5 Core processor with 8 gigs of RAM in a case that will hold two drives.

I've been looking at that same case. But I agree that the price is a bit much. Get the black. Same case, cheaper.

jmwills

I agree about the dell. I will probably never build another pc/server because you just can't beat the dell prices. Only caveat to that will be if you want a lot of sata ports and dont want to use pci cards for them.

well Jim, the one thing you can say about Lian-Li is you typically get what you pay for. They're expensive, but they are aluminum, so they're light, and the workmanship is very good.

Hey Jim,

For my next build, I've been seriously considering the Chenbro ES34069. It has 4 hotswap 3.5" SATA drive bays and is really small. It's not less expensive than the Lian Li, but the power supply is reliable and thus is not something you need to replace. I have their 3-liter case, and its build quality is very good! I've also used their dragon-style cases in years past that I also thought were good. Overall, you may find that ITX builds are not much less expensive because of the lack of supply of compatible parts...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811123122&cm_re=chenbro_itx-_-11-123-122-_-Product

I've been thinking of using this with Icy-Dock's adapters that house 2x2.5" drives in a single 3.5" enclosure that can then be used in hot-swap arrays. Full hardware-level redundancy with no RAID card required...

Jim,

I was browsing newegg and that many of the micro-atx cases also support mini-itx. Here is a link to one that seems pretty good except for it is white. Has a 120mm and a 200 mm for good air flow. Still no power supply but the pricing is a bit better. I would start looking at the micro cases and check to see which are supporting the ITX.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129044

Jim,

I was browsing newegg and that many of the micro-atx cases also support mini-itx. Here is a link to one that seems pretty good except for it is white. Has a 120mm and a 200 mm for good air flow. Still no power supply but the pricing is a bit better. I would start looking at the micro cases and check to see which are supporting the ITX.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129044

If you can get the A1-8989 from http://www.aywun.com/ is is very good. I think they call it something else in the US. I have this and you can fit two drives but will need an external DVD if you think you need one at all.

I agree about the SATA port connections but all I really need are two; one for an ICY Dock (hint, hint I really need to win the 4 bay one!!) and possibly one more that could be made thru an PCI card add on.

I've been looking at that same case. But I agree that the price is a bit much. Get the black. Same case, cheaper.

But the red is so dead sexy...

I also have looked at the chenbro case with 4 hot swap bays. But the way that the industry has been dragging it's feet in breeching the 2TB drive volume I would rather have more bays than 4.