RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 Partially Asleep

awraynor

Been having a strange problem with my 2011 box lately. It can run for days without a problem, or replicate the problem

within hours. 

The problem is I can't login via RDC or the Dashboard on occasion. I can navigate to the shares and play files, view files, etc.

without issues, but any kind of remote access doesn't work. A reboot and it's okay until the next time.

Anyone else having similar problems?

To the dashboard specifically? Or just RDP in general? 

If "in general", does "mstsc /admin /v:servername" work? If so, it may be that the server isn't closing out sessions properly, and may be limiting you to the normal 2 concurrent sessions. Weird as it may be....  that could be the case. And to check this, load up the task manager on the server, and log out all of the other users. If you can then open the dashboard/RDP without any issues, then yes, this was the issue.

Check the power management settings for the NIC. It sounds like it is being allowed to sleep and a possible driver update could have changed your settings.

Check the power management settings for the NIC. It sounds like it is being allowed to sleep and a possible driver update could have changed your settings.

The driver for the NIC did allow the computer to turn off the device to save energy. I deselected that option. The driver was dated 9-27-2011

so not sure if that is it, but will give it a try.

When I did a RDP session I would have the RDP bar at the top with the server name and a black screen. It wouldn't give me a can't connect

error as in the case when the server was turned off. The dashboard wasn't able to connect either.

I restarted the server which usually fixes the problem for an undetermined amount of time. I'll see if this helps.

I only connect via two computers, so there should be no more than that listed. Given the recent restart only one user was listed.

I'll see how it goes.