RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Dennis

Add drive to existing Raid 0 B120i

ikon

Glad to hear the cable swapping technique isolated the problem to the cable. I don't know why the cable isn't working except that it must be faulty. The reviews on Newegg clearly state that this cable works with the RocketRAID 2720, so I can't imagine it won't work with the B120i.

Definitely return the cable for exchange as defective. Check the packaging as well; make certain you were sent the correct cable.

Dennis

Glad to hear the cable swapping technique isolated the problem to the cable. I don't know why the cable isn't working except that it must be faulty. The reviews on Newegg clearly state that this cable works with the RocketRAID 2720, so I can't imagine it won't work with the B120i.

Definitely return the cable for exchange as defective. Check the packaging as well; make certain you were sent the correct cable.

Thanks for the advice.  I was scrambling to find the packaging that contained the cable . . . and once I found it, the drama ended.  The wrong item was sent.  SAS8087SR450, "SFF-8087 to 4x Latching SATA Reverse" is plainly printed on the "Hard-to-find made easy" package.  Had I known upon receipt what I've learned here, it would have immediately been returned.

Thanks all for your patience!!!!

ikon

Cool. Now you have to check what you actually ordered, to make sure you didn't accidentally order the wrong one :)

On the positive side, it's now proved beyond any doubt as to what the issue is, so that's good.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Dennis

Cool. Now you have to check what you actually ordered, to make sure you didn't accidentally order the wrong one :)

On the positive side, it's now proved beyond any doubt as to what the issue is, so that's good.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Thanks all.  As much as I don't like admitting it, I did order incorrectly.  But the good news is that I have worked out a full refund (less the $5 "learning" fee), including return shipping, and I now have a working cable installed that I found locally.  Here's my current configuration, compliments of parted:

# parted -l

Model: HP LOGICAL VOLUME (scsi)

Disk /dev/sda: 8002GB

Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B

Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name     Flags

1      1049kB  8002GB  8002GB  ext4         primary

Model: ATA Samsung SSD 840 (scsi)

Disk /dev/sdb: 256GB

Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B

Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End    Size   Type     File system  Flags

1      1049kB  256GB  256GB  primary  ext4

Model: ATA Samsung SSD 840 (scsi)

Disk /dev/sdc: 256GB

Number  Start   End    Size   Type     File system  Flags

1      1049kB  256GB  256GB  primary  ext4

Model: ATA OCZ-AGILITY4 (scsi)

Disk /dev/sdd: 128GB

Number  Start   End    Size    Type      File system     Flags

1      1049kB  126GB  126GB   primary   ext4            boot

2      126GB   128GB  1977MB  extended

5      126GB   128GB  1977MB  logical   linux-swap(v1)

So I have 8TB of Raid5 storage (plus spare), 2 256GB flash drives, and one 128GB flash drive all in this postage-stamp-size (well, almost) powerhouse!  Woo hoo!

Today, I ordered the Schoondoggy bracket, so soon I'll be able to put the lid back on and place it in its designated lab space.

I think we're done here.  Thanks again, all who contributed, for your patience and your invaluable guidance!

ikon

Glad you got it worked out. That's the main thing.