RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Dennis

Add drive to existing Raid 0 B120i

Dennis

Hi, gurus:

I have had my Microserver Gen 8 running for a few days; it's coming along nicely. This is installed with a single SSD up top as the boot drive (off of the ODD), and  4 4TB drives in the bays, running off of a P212 in a Raid 5 configuration.

Now, in anticipation of Schoondoggy's drive mount, I have ordered two more SSD cards.  I would like to get them configured, but the system is not recognizing them -- or I don't know how to make it show me the drives.

The attached pictures show the top (disorganized since it's temporary) and the connections.  All connections are solid.  As you can see, an SAS 4-way fan-out cable has been added to the B120i, and the SSDs will hopefully be driven by that.  I have a Floppy-to-Molex cable on order(http://www.moddiy.com/products/Floppy-FDD-Power-to-4%252dPin-Molex-Adapter-Cable.html). Since that will not be here for a while, all the effort is going toward the top bay, where I have an extra power connector.

When I boot this and go into the ACU (F5 when the B120i introduces itself in the POST), and select the B120i from available devices, I do not see the new drive.  I see only the SSD that is in "bay 5" according to the Utility.  In another system, I have verified that the drives are good (I have two, although I can only use one at a time here for now).  The single-to-dual MOLEX is fine; the only thing I cannot test, is the SAS 4-way fan-out cable, which is brand new.

This leaves me with, I think, only a couple of things that might be wrong.  It is possible that the SAS cable is bad, or that the connector to the B120i is bad (although that was working originally, before I added the P212).  Or it might be that I need to alter the configuration in some inconspicuous way.

Any ideas how I might be able to figure out and resolve the actual issue here?  I'm hoping I just missed some configuration setting!

Thanks!

20140220_135705.png

20140220_142041.png

stix01

I would consider turning your unit off unplugging the sas connector to the raid card and plugging your sas cable for the other drives in - boot up and see if it can see the drives this then checks the cable.

Then unplug the connected ssd's that show up and roll the plugs around this should get you down to what the actual fault is.

Dennis

What is the part number of the SFF-8087 fan out cable?

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/7182-strange-cable-issue/

This one:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200884

The description - in case you don't wish to go there - reads, StarTech Model SAS8087S450 19" (50cm) Serial Attached SCSI SAS Cable - SFF-8087 to 4x Latching SATA

This is the same one Joe_Miner referenced in the page referenced by your quoted URL.  Unless I misread that page, this should be the one I need, no?

Dennis

I would consider turning your unit off unplugging the sas connector to the raid card and plugging your sas cable for the other drives in - boot up and see if it can see the drives this then checks the cable.

Then unplug the connected ssd's that show up and roll the plugs around this should get you down to what the actual fault is.

I moved the (red) cable to the P212 with the result that the large drives were no longer visible (since no longer connected), and no other difference.  I presume I have a wrong or faulty cable.   I am not aware of any means at my disposal for testing of the cable in question.

Good point; I should not have missed this option.  Thanks.

schoondoggy

That should be the right cable.

Is it clicking into the socket when you push it down?

Check the part number on the cable to be sure they sent you the right one.

Dennis

That should be the right cable.

Is it clicking into the socket when you push it down?

Check the part number on the cable to be sure they sent you the right one.

I don't find a part number on the cable.  It definitely clicks in when I attach it.  And the clip definitely must be pressed in order to remove it.

I have another server I can try this in... I just hate to bring it down, but looks like I need to.

I'm curious, though: what tools exist for diagnosis of this sort of cable?

ikon

Not aware of any consumer friendly way to test the cables except trying them on other computers or swapping a known good cable into the computer with the issues, to see if it's the computer or cable.

Now, despite having done it a few times, you may want to check yet again into how the cable is seating into the motherboard. More than one person has found that the issue turned out to be getting the cable to seat into the connector on the motherboard, despite repeated tries.

Dennis

Now, despite having done it a few times, you may want to check yet again into how the cable is seating into the motherboard. More than one person has found that the issue turned out to be getting the cable to seat into the connector on the motherboard, despite repeated tries.

Thanks for your reply, IKON. Yesterday I took down another system that has the same type of cable needed here. Swapped out the cable, and the result was that the new cable does not work in either system, while the pre-existing cable works in both. I jiggled and fanigled to no avail. I will send the cable back to Newegg along with all the gratitude it deserves.

By the way, while the "stolen" cable was in the Gen8, it could see all 7 drives. Woo hoo.

Edited by Dennis

LoneWolf

Dennis,

I am guessing that somehow, your new non-working cable is an SFF-8087 "reverse-breakout" cable.

The SFF-8087 (MiniSAS) to 4-SATA cables come in both forward and reverse breakout types.  The reverse type is not compatible; the foward breakout is required.  They do look the same.  This happened to me the first time I ordered a cable for my N54L Microserver.

To shamelessly use someone's already nicely written article on the differences:

http://www.vividomaha.com/blog/2011/11/15/sff-8087-revealed-sff-8087-reverse-breakout-forward-breakout-crossover

Also, one big note.  The B120i controller does *not* support expanding existing arrays.  This is documented by HP, and I have confirmed it.  If you wish to build an array on the B120i controller, start with the drives you wish to use, because changing later means deleting the array, creating a new one, and restoring from backup.  On the other hand, if you create a two-drive array on the B120i, you should be able to create a second two drive array (i.e., two RAID-0 arrays, two RAID-1 arrays, or one of each).

Edited by LoneWolf
  • Like 1