• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jason

• Drashna Jaelre

• jmwills

• ikon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You can interact with the VM's via powershell.   For example, I use the Start-VM command to start them up at startup.  Here is the command I use.   C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\power

Thanks. I used Disk2Vhd to create a VHD disk of my VMWare Workstation VM then added it to a new Hyper-V VM. Booted right up then uninstalled VMWare Tools and installed Integration Services. It's a Wi

For anyone looking to remotely manage their Hyper-V Manager on another machine (i.e. WSE12R2 server), this is the best-kept secret.  Also supported by Microsoft.  Just ran it on both my server and cli

I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere, but it seems to take my WSE12R2 box forever to shutdown when my Hyper-V VM is running.  I've tried setting the VM to shutdown vs. save on host shutdown, but it doesn't seem to matter.  If a Hyper-V VM isn't running when I initiate a host shutdown, the shutdown takes a max of 30 seconds.  I can't for the life of me figure out why this happens?  The VM itself runs fine.  In fact, if I manually initiate a shutdown of the VM either 1.) from within the VM itself or 2.) from within Hyper-V Manager, the VM shuts down normally with no issue.

FWIW, my system has 2 Intel NICs.  One is dedicated entirely to Hyper-V and is not shared with the host OS (WSE12R2).

Thanks!

Drashna Jaelre

Double check the NICs and make absolutely certain that the "allow host OS to manage NIC" option is not enabled. 

You can also verify in network connections... if the HyperV NIC has IP info, then it's being managed by the Host OS. And that's bad, as it's what's causing the issue.

And to clarify, if the VMs area all shut down already (which happens quickly), then it shuts down fine?

Double check the NICs and make absolutely certain that the "allow host OS to manage NIC" option is not enabled. 

You can also verify in network connections... if the HyperV NIC has IP info, then it's being managed by the Host OS. And that's bad, as it's what's causing the issue.

And to clarify, if the VMs area all shut down already (which happens quickly), then it shuts down fine?

Drashna, yes, if the VMs are already shutdown then the system shuts down fine and quickly like normal.

I'm looking for the option "allow host OS to manage NIC" and I cannot quite locate it.  However under Hyper-V Manager > Servername > Virtual Switch Manager, I verified that for my external network the dedicated Intel NIC is listed and "Allow management operating system to share this network adapter" is unchecked.  Is that the same option?

Drashna Jaelre

Yes. that's the option. I didn't have HyperV open and didn't look. 

If that's unchecked, then it may be waiting for the systems to shutdown or save. Depending on where they are stored, and the resources allocated, it may take a couple of minutes.

So, by "forever," how long do you mean?

Where are the HyperV VMs stored? HDD or SSD, or RAID? How many are running and how much RAM are they using (especially if you're saving, as the memory is cached to the disk)?

OK. I have 2 VMs on a single 7200 RPM HDD. Both are relatively idle and are set to shutdown vs save. The host can take several minutes to shutdown and often appears to not shutdown at all. It's headless so I end up holding power to hard stop it. I'll try again only this time I'll time it with both VMs running.

Drashna Jaelre

This is one of the reasons that I hate headless systems.....

In theory, the shutdown screen should be telling you what is going on.

Also, if you're using the HyperV Manager on the remote system.... can you see the status of the machines while the server is shutting down?

The server is tucked away in a closet though I occasionally hook a monitor up to it. I may do that during this shutdown test.

Also, I've only run Hyper-V manager on the server itself using Remote Desktop from a client PC. That's usually how I do everything on the server.

BTW - I just initiated a manual shutdown of the host OS with both VMs active and it took 1m27s the first time to complete successfully. The second test was only 1m10s. Both of which are FAST for this system. Just glad they worked and didn't hang up.