RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hyper-V on Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2 Question

Jason

How can a switch hand out IP addresses?  Think about it.  My guess is the interface of your router is just not capable of that function.

Never heard of a switch doing DHCP -- interesting idea though ;)

It honestly sounds like the MAC address isn't getting to the router's DHCP server, or the return info isn't getting to the VM. This is a situation where I would look at running a network sniffer. I'm not up to date on network sniffers; the last one I used was called Ethereal I think, which then became Wireshark. It's not trivial for noobs to use network analyzers, but sometimes they are indispensible.

Jason,

Did you also install Server 2012 R2 as a separate VM, or did you leave all the roles active on same OS running hyper-V? Additionally, how are you accessing your movie files for Plex? SMB?

Also, is it possible to run a pfsense router with Hyper-V. Was curious how the network adapters will all work.

My server OS has hyper-v role installed. PMS running within a guest OS. Plex accessing media via SMB.

I've never tried to virtualize a hardware firewall.

A virtual firewall isn't that hard to do if you get your head wrapped around the architecture.  It's just like any VM, except you would need a Dual Port NIC to dedicate to the VM.  One port would go to the modem and the other would go the the distribution switch/main NIC dedicated to the Server Host.

The only drawback is you need a monitor assigned to the host so you can get to the virtual firewall if the  connection drops.

I see. My new Sophos UTM build is on a Ivy Bridge Celeron box with 8 GB RAM and 4 NICs. 2 Intel, 2 Realtek (gigabyte onboard chipset). I honestly didn't have any other purpose in mind for the hardware other than an "upgrade" from pfsense on newer, faster hardware. Wasn't aware of the benefits of virtualizing a firewall since it's otherwise tucked away. Am intrigued now as seems many people here do it.

I think a couple do it, not many, because of the family factor.  I don't want to get a call that the "internet is not working" just because a VM needs recycling.

I think a couple do it, not many, because of the family factor.  I don't want to get a call that the "internet is not working" just because a VM needs recycling.

Now that you mention it, this is precisely why I wasn't eager to experiment when I built my current Sophos UTM.  Those calls had only just ceased with my pfsense build.