RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hyper-V on Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2 Question

Jason

Ok, the ip lease time explains why the sever keeps getting the same IP especially since I was only working on it for one day. 

But how do I manage the hyper v switch?  My router sees the mac address of the physical nic that I am using as the hyper v switch, but not the mac address of the VM.  The virtual mac address of the vm is "behind"  that mac address. The vm seems to be on the same subnet on as the rest of the computers.  The vm also lists 192.168.1.1 as the default gateway (which is my router), but the VMs ip address (192.168.1.18) doesn't show up on the router as an active connection.

I have three NICs in my server (one being a dual port) and I can see all of the MACs in the routing table as well as the clients assigned to each.  This may be a limitation of the router you are using, which is what?  How up to date is the firmware?

My server is named Apollo and I can see four leases applied to Apollo but it does not differentiate which one is the host.  I know that only by having access to the box.  I will say I get a little anal about supplying lease in that in the two domains on the box, I keep the lease assignments within a specific range for each domain.

Did you set the NIC that handles these clients as an Internal, External, or Private?

I am using a Netgear wnr2000v3 Router. Firmware is up to date.

I set the hyper v switch to external.

When you refer to "routing tables" and that you can "see four leases" is that info that you get from your router? Or is it some command line or other tool that shows all the devices on the network?

Thanks. I used Disk2Vhd to create a VHD disk of my VMWare Workstation VM then added it to a new Hyper-V VM. Booted right up then uninstalled VMWare Tools and installed Integration Services. It's a Win 7 x64 VM that hosts my Plex Media Server. So far, this same VM under Hyper-V seems to perform much better. Lower CPU utilization and RAM usage. Also seems to handle multiple concurrent client sessions without hiccups even when virtual 4 core CPU is pegged at 100% for brief moments during transcoding.

How well did VMWare Workstation do with Plex overall? Always was curious how it was able to handle intensive tasks like trans-coding.

It was absolutely awful compared to Hyper-V. Honestly. No contest. Plex Media Center runs like a dream on R2 within Hyper-V. Way better utilization of system resources and access to CPU for transcoding. Avoid VMWare IMO.

Ok, it just seems like something in my setup doesn't line up. From inside the VM, I get every indication that it is connected directly to my router and that it receives an IP address from my router. However, when I log in to my router there is no indication of the VMs Mac address or IP address. Is my router just old and dumb?

Is there anywhere else that VM could be getting an IP address? The hyper v switch doesn't hand out IP addresses does it?