RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hyper-V on Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2 Question

Jason

OK - doing my first server backup under R2 with Hyper-V enabled.  Configured the server backup and external drives via the Dashboard's Customize Server Backup option first.  Then went into the Server Manager > Windows Server Backup to tweak (include Hyper-V, Host Components, etc.).  Now waiting for the first server backup to complete.  Taking forever but definitely progressing.  Even worse, I've identified during backup (and Stablebit Scanner) that my one Seagate Desktop Expansion external HDD was dying... outside of warranty of course.  Never @#$% fails.  Will grab another 4 TB HGST Touro whenever I can.

Yeah, it can take a long while to complete. Especially that first backup. Because it's backing up each virtual machine specified. 

Yes - it definitely does :)  But am glad it's working! 

BTW, I've noticed that if you select files/folders to backup via the R2 Dashboard 'Customize the back for the Server' and the go open the Server Manager > Windows Server Backup option in the console, the files/folders that are selected from within Server Manager aren't the same as you'd see via the Dashboard.  Other than scheduled backup times and a few other parameters.  That being said, you're correct Drashna, it does appear to honor the parameters you select via Server Manager > Windows Server Backup which are much more specific.

Am waiting until I get a solid SUCCESSFUL WSE12R2 server backup before I jump to reinstalling DirectAccess like I had previously configured on my R1 box.

That's a great idea. I always run a manual backup when I'm doing stuff like that. Just in case I break something.

And yeah, the dashboard uses the WBADMIN API stuff to configure the backups. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Question on the topic dedicating a nic to hyper v and the hyper v switch.

I am used to an unmanaged physical switch which does not have a Mac address or an IP address. However, the dedicated nic that you bind to hyper v has both. How is the the hyper v switch different?

Also I am used to seting up dhcp reservations on my router so that most of my machines have static IPs based on Mac address. I don't remember seeing the Mac address of my VM show up on my router. How do I manage the IP addresses of my virtual machines?

I have only rebooted a few times, but my VM has always got an IP address of 192.168.1.18 but I don't know how or why that is the case.

re: the same DHCP IP. Remember, if not much else changes on the LAN, a DHCP server will often issue the same IP to a computer: i.e. if the IP address isn't issued to another computer in the interim, it will simply reissue it to the original computer.

At 50% of the lease time, the DHCP client will call back to the DHCP Server to let it know it is still there and wants to renew.  YOu can find the MAC of a VM the same way you find that of a physical machine.  ipconfig /all

Is there a rule of thumb or best practice for DHCP lease time duration? I believe WSE R2 defaults to 8 days. I have mine set to 2. Really not sure why I even changed.

I have mine set to 7 months. The length of lease required really depends on a few factors, but the most important is how many computers have to share the IP pool. If there are more computers than available leases, but the computers are not all on or connected at the same time, a short lease time can help ensure that every computer on the network can get an IP when needed.

In most home situations, there are way more available leases than computers. A really long lease time is no problem because there is no danger of running out of leases.