RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

NAS Noobie

TAC

My2Cents

I started my backup experience a few years back with a FrakenBuild WHS ver 1, moved up to the HP 490 if I remember right and somehow that machine died so I decided to move over to building a NAS so I started with a basic computer and messed around with FreeNAS and OpenMediaVault. I really liked the NAS's but in my restless tinkering I decided to buy the Synology NAS which ever was the 8 bay system because after reading reviews it was able to have apps installed like Plex and other software, what everyone does not tell you is that when you start installing apps the NAS really slows down to a snails pace because essentially it is a slow, low powered CPU and only minimal amounts of RAM, enough if you are only using it to store files on which it does extremely well. After getting extremely frustrated I sold it on eBay and went back to building a WHS 2011 rig which is great except that now WHS is no longer going to be updated to the newest Server OS. So here is what I learned

1. If all you want to do is store files then the store bought NAS's are great.

2. If you want to serve media files to your house and on the internet you should build a NAS with a good low power CPU and buy as much RAM as you can.

3. FreeNAS is great, but is based on FreeBSD, so it has a learning curve. If you want to run ZFS, which is great, you need a ton of RAM. the minimum is 1GB per TB of hard drive space you have. That is the minimum, the more the better. There are apps available but not as much as OpenMediaVault.

4. OpenMediaVault was my favorite because it is based on Linux, has an easy update process, and pretty much anything that runs on Linux will run on it.

5. Server 2012 is TOOOOO expensive for my needs, I did try it when I had technet but I did not like it because of the fact you had to have a domain and I did not want all the drama. Also it was more restrictive as to what I could install on it since it is a full fledged server OS and not meant for home use.

Oh-well, I thought I would give my2cents.

Don

I agree completely about the Synology boxes; your experience mirrors mine almost exactly. The only real difference is mine was a 4-drive unit. The software is very interesting, but the hardware is sadly lacking, at least in my experience. I wish it weren't so. I also wish Synology would sell DiskStation Manager separately (at a reasonable cost of course) so we could build boxes of our own to run it.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree completely about the Synology boxes; your experience mirrors mine almost exactly. The only real difference is mine was a 4-drive unit. The software is very interesting, but the hardware is sadly lacking, at least in my experience. I wish it weren't so. I also wish Synology would sell DiskStation Manager separately (at a reasonable cost of course) so we could build boxes of our own to run it.

If you look... you'll find XPnology.... DSM running on the HP Micro amongst others :)

I'm aware of it, but it's a 3rd party hack of DSM. I meant an official, supported release from Synology themselves; something that would be able to get all the updates, and have all the apps.

Hmmm, is that the same as 'all the apps'. My understanding is that some of the apps aren't available or don't work. Are you saying that's not true?

I honestly have not yet had time to read through 11+ pages of forum posts  (although I did manage the first 4 last week and the last 2 today   :)   )... just finished 4 straight 12 hour night shifts   .... have a pile of jobs and new hardware to plow through here to try and catch up with my man cave "to do" list.................

set up and change recorded TV folder backup

Unbox and set up new 16 port switch which arrived shortly after my 2 hour drive home this morning.. with the addition of figuring out LACP/Trunking on one system (new thing for me)

test and work out if a donated 3COM 28 port switch is worth keeping

fire up and bios flash to Mod bios my 2nd N40L

work out and plan/download software for new ESXi setup

Keep an eye out and bid on a Dell Poweredge SC 1245 on the "Bay of E"  (somehow hide this from the wife.. but I think she may figure this one out when I fire (boot) it up !!!!)

And I need some sleep  :(

Edited by Essexraptor

If that 3Com switch isn't gigabit I wouldn't bother.

Yup... fast ethernet (10/100) + a couple of gigabit and a couple of fiber ports.... might use it for popping a couple of printers and a AP on .... normal "keep it .... because you never know" syndrome

It's a toy   :)