RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
chrisoldroyd

Windows 8.1 Storage Spaces

Vance Fox

Which would not be used by any entity, outside MS only because they made it, simply because non "essential", as you put it, data would not under any circumstance share a drive with critical data...

Someone who runs a decent sized server set can correct me if I'm wrong...

Boris

Which would not be used by any entity, outside MS only because they made it, simply because non "essential", as you put it, data would not under any circumstance share a drive with critical data...

Someone who runs a decent sized server set can correct me if I'm wrong...

First of all, what I'm describing is useful for home servers (or a small business). A large company can afford multiple arrays for multiple purposes. To you and I, however, storage virtualization (via SS) serves a useful role in that you're not restricted to just 3TB of mirrored space. You can use the space however you decide and if that means you have 1.5 TB of "critical" files (3TB over two disks), then you're not wasting the other 3TB on just 1.5TB of non-essential data. You can use the entire 3TB left-over to store your movies or whatever else without having to add a 3rd drive.

By the way, I think this can also be accomplished using DrivePool in a similar manner. IMO, the benefit of SS is actually ReFS, which protects against sector failures, bit corruption and so on. It's the same reason you run ECC ram in your servers, but this is even more critical.

Talking about critical data; if data is critical it doesn't sit on just a single RAID array, single server or a single pool of any type. You can most certainly keep your "critical" data in Storage Spaces, provided it's also kept elsewhere.

ikon

Boris, on that last part I totally agree: everyone's data should be kept in multiple places. In fact, there has been quite a bit of discussion of the 3-2-1 backup strategy on these forums. I recommend 3-2-1 to everybody.

Boris

Boris, on that last part I totally agree: everyone's data should be kept in multiple places. In fact, there has been quite a bit of discussion of the 3-2-1 backup strategy on these forums. I recommend 3-2-1 to everybody.

Haven't heard of it, but I'll check.

By the way, those of you who aren't SS fans, I have "good" news for you: I was doing some interesting SS testing on my Windows 8 VM and was able to break it. The data is still available, but the pool has issues. Same thing as described here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b7ed1dcb-6132-422f-b13f-07f11ff0dcc2/storage-spaces-unmark-hard-drive-as-retired-after-sata-controller-failure?forum=winserverfiles