RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

What video card for a Home Server Build?

Dave

Although old, I'm pretty sure this is not a popular video card for a Home Server build.

video card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127430

If you are interested.

This is going in a build for an Essentials server but started out as a desktop. That desktop build is here:

http://homeservershow.com/budget-core-i7-pc-build.html

I wouldn't have one of those card's anywhere near a server. They put out lot's of heat & draw alot of power. 

If you want the same performance as that card maybe consider the newly released 750. They aren't very expensive and use less than 10w of power at idle. From memory that card will draw around 100w just the card.

If you just need something to display for your server I'm sure there are many to be had on e-bay that will have low power draw and output what you want.

Just be careful on the driver side for what OS you wish to run.

Edited by stix01

Yeah, no way that this card is going in the server.  It was good for an entry level gaming desktop but i know better than putting it in the server.  I'm going to dig around for something.  I should have something else laying around somewhere!

I found an old 9600 nvidia card. Booting up now! Trying to decide if I should go hyper-v or not. I would probably configure a Win 7  Media Center PC and maybe a Win 8 PC in a VM.  Still thinking.

I found an old 9600 nvidia card. Booting up now! Trying to decide if I should go hyper-v or not. I would probably configure a Win 7  Media Center PC and maybe a Win 8 PC in a VM.  Still thinking.

HAHAHA

That's ... ironically what's in my server. My hardware "came" with a GTX 560, initially, as the system was a gaming system I bought off of a friend. Found a spare 9600 that worked, and that's what I've been using. :)

If you're using Essentials and want to use HyperV... then make sure you have TWO network adapters on the computer. And one dedicated to HyperV. Otherwise, having RRAS (VPN/directAccess) installed on the same system as HyperV, and using the "Allow host to manage adapter" option causes the VMs to hang on shutdown. As in 20-30 minutes to shut down. So, two NICs. (But that's recommended for HyperV anyways)