RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Helzy

Strange cable issue...

Helzy

So I started out yesterday simply wanting to update the P222 controller in my unit to FW 5.22. Along the way I discovered the 1M Sff 8087 multi-lane cable I bought to use with the B120i doesn't see any drives on it when connected to the B120i latch. I peeled it out and connected the cable from the backplane that had been connected to the P222, and discovered that even with out a FWBC module connected to the B120i it will import and support a RAID5 array. So I grabbed another sff8087 multilane @ 50cm instead of a meter but it doesn't recognize any drives either. The drives do work I have tested before and after they failed to be recognized on the B120i. Forgive my ignorance, but these cables are all simply electrical connectors yes? There is no logic etc. built into the latches either SAS or sata right? I am just curious it seems unlikely to have 2 dead brand new cables back to back. :wacko:

schoondoggy

Can you post a part number for the cable?

You want a fan out cable not a fan in cable.

Sometimes it is called a reverse cable.

Yes, the B120i can see a RAID5 that was setup on a P series, but it cant manage it.

Helzy

Hey, indeed these are both reverse cables, typical startech fare. So fan out is reverse ? Or Fan in is reverse?

THe 50cm cable is startech PN : SAS8087S4R50 Will have to dig up the invoice for the other cable

Edited by Helzy

Helzy

Ahh yes I think I have it figured out now.

I believe I have it figured out.

schoondoggy

Reverse is fan in, the Startech description is bad.

You want forward or fan out.

I tend to buy Intel or LSI cables on Ebay.

Joe_Miner

In the reviews for cables at places like Newegg look for comments that the cable you're looking at WORKS with the RocketRAID 2720 SGL -- the RR2720 is a very popular card (at least, I have one :) ) that uses Forward cables --