RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Vail files >1TB susceptible to single-drive-loss, even with duplication off?

tinkererguy

This bug report:
https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/554996/allow-disabling-of-file-chunking-striping-for-non-duplicated-folders

which, if you don't have a Microsoft Connect login, says:
"Some users will not feasibly be able to duplicate all folders due to them being excessively large and/or less important than other folders. With the current 1GB chunk/stripe system in place a single drive failure will lose practically all of your non-duplicated files. I propose that non-duplicated folders have their files contained on a single drive each instead of being spread around on all drives..."

I suppose all we can do is hope that this gets addressed before the release of Vail.

I should point out that it's already #1 of the "Most Up-Voted Active Bugs"

thanks tinkererguy,
This is a good read, thanks for the link. I'll have to remember to bring this up on the next podcast.

• 3 months later...

FYI, I'm still trying to figure out the status of this issue in the latest release of Vail beta, reading thru the same URL I originally posted, it's still an active thread.

I know that huge file handling is very important to me, with many virtual machine files, archived Ghost backups 1GB to 20GB in size, and avi files. For example, taking Hi8 2 hours analog videos off an old camcorder via FireWire results in 24GB avi files (that I transcode to 6GB mpeg 4 based files), so handling of huge files is very important to me, will be interesting to see how this all works out.

Edited by tinkererguy