Don W

To pfSense, or not to pfSense, that is the question...but in this thread the answer is Sophos!

nrf    94
nrf

wow. guess I won't be exploring that option anytime soon. no wonder people might want to load utm over it!

thanks.

Drashna Jaelre    152
Drashna Jaelre

A good post. 

https://community.sophos.com/products/xg-firewall/f/46/t/74160

But basically, XG Firewall isn't ready.  Won't be for probably more than a year (IMO).  They bought CyberRoam and are porting their features into it. 

Honestly, I'd rather seem them build a multithreaded snort/squid support, and other improvements to UTM.  But I'm glad that they plan on support UTM for a long while. 

nrf    94
nrf

cool, I fail to see why they headed down this other path - if cyberoam had something great why not put it into utm instead of putting so many utm abilities into cyberoam

Edited by nrf

itGeeks    160
itGeeks

cool, I fail to see why they headed down this other path - if cyberoam had something great why not put it into utm instead of putting so many utm abilities into cyberoam

As I understand it cyberoam has a better foundation for building so that's y they have decided to port the better parts over from UTM, If they did it the other way around it would be a complete re-write from the ground up.

Drashna Jaelre    152
Drashna Jaelre

As I understand it cyberoam has a better foundation for building so that's y they have decided to port the better parts over from UTM, If they did it the other way around it would be a complete re-write from the ground up.

That would be my guess, as well.

The problem is that the base is too undeveloped, and has a long while to catch up.  For instance, web filtering, my disaster with something as simple as port forwarding, etc. 

I think that when they get there (in 2-3 years), it will be a fantastic product.  But that it will take 2-3 years to be a viable product. 

Nnyan    6
Nnyan

I've played around with Sophos and don't have too many issues with it but at the end of the day my home network is going through pfSense.  So far it's just been reliable (running on an ESXi VM) and I don't need to touch it at all.  I am going to spin up an opnsense VM to check it out since this thread has made me interested in seeing it on my network.

• Like 1

Nnyan    6
Nnyan

Just to update things I've tried out XG again and it looks NICE but in the limited amount of time I had I could not get it running but more than likely that was due to me rushing it and I plan to revisit it again.  I have moved from pfSense to OPNSense which overall I like better.  As a relative noob to firewalls it seems a bit less cluttered and the forums are more responsive.  Anyway I ended up splitting off OPNSense from my main ESXi server (just too many complaints whenever the box had to be rebooted and brought down the network) unto it's own dedicated hardware.  Just a Dell Optiplex 7010 which I was able to install ESXi 6.5.0a onto without any issues.  So for now it's running on that PC as a server.

Currently playing around with Nethserver and ClearOS and some more bare solutions like FireHOL and Alpinewall.

nrf    94
nrf

the thread that wouldn't die... I have had trouble with opnsense since my employer changed its vpn client. in the midst of interviewing alternative software my n40l flaked out. I'm back to the 8400 in 32 bit mode with untangle. 

i'm not able to get my ipv6 working on Untangle but at least I don't need to make compensations for my work pc.

it seems like I'm going around in circles with these products, when one disappoints I interview again until one is working for my needs 'today'.... :)