RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Don W

Can I delete the second partition?

Don W

I installed WHS 2011 on a 256GB SSD, and as always when you install it creates the C: partition and D: partition, I also have 4 3TB Reds in a Drive Bender pool so in essence the D: is not used at all. Could I delete the D: and expand the C: to give it more room to grow in future needs? I use this as a backup machine, Plex Media Server, and misc other programs.

Thanks

Don

Drashna Jaelre

If there is nothing in use on the D:\ "drive", then absolutely. Load up "Disk Management", delete the D: partition, then right click on the C:\ partition and expand.

But a) make sure you have a backup of the system FIRST (or any time you do partition editing) b.) that there is nothing being used on the D: drive, and nothing actively in use, c) that you backup the system before doing this.

If I'm being annoying about the backup part, good. Because any time you alter partitions like this, there is always a chance of catastrophic failure. It may be 1 in a billion. But you wouldn't want to be that 1, would you?

ikon

I've considered doing this on my WHS2011, but decided to leave it and see what happens. After 2 years, I still have no reason to expand the C: partition.

dvn

I've got WHS2011 installed on a 240GB SSD. I put music and photos on the D: partition figuring I might as well take advantage of the speed. As to the OS partition, I think 60GB is enough. Right now it sits at 32GB used + 28GB free. I doubt free space will ever get much lower than that. The installation has been in place for 2 years at least so that echoes ikon's experience.

Drashna Jaelre

That's also because you probably don't install anything on the system too.  I'm at about 25GB free on a 120GB SSD....

dvn

That is correct. I do not. Good point. So if he's going to install all kinds of stuff, he could split it equally and be fine. But then I suppose he could still himself in trouble at some point. In which case I would say this: Acronis! That along with 42 is the answer to just about everything.

Drashna Jaelre

I'm not a fan of Acronis at all. Still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Because yo uare right It is still the answer to just about everything. Including why the f*** the computer isn't backing up, and what is causing issues with disk pooling software.  YMMV... But I'd rather use offline tools, or built in windows tools.

Also, I have 32GB of RAM installed on my server (2012R2E), so I have a 32GB hibernate file, and a 32GB page file. So I'm basically screwed.

The only thing that is saving me, is that the system is running the page file on my "storage" disk. But that explains the performance issues I've been having with HyperV... :P

ikon

Well, once you bring '42' into the equation, all other bets are off :) And no, I don't install much of anything on my server except the OS.

dvn

I rely on Acronis for imaging drives prior to doing anything drastic. It's what I used to clone my WHS2011 OS drive from a larger spinning drive to a smaller SSD. Those are primary reasons I like it so much. And I can do either via the boot CD, so it doesn't even need to be installed. 

To the point of making a system backup, it's a very good idea. I would, and I would use Acronis to do it. There really is nothing else that works as easily and as well. 

pcdoc

I rely on Acronis for imaging drives prior to doing anything drastic. It's what I used to clone my WHS2011 OS drive from a larger spinning drive to a smaller SSD. Those are primary reasons I like it so much. And I can either via the boot CD, so it doesn't even need to be installed. 

To the point of making a system backup, it's a very good idea. I would, and I would use Acronis to do it. There really is nothing else that works as easily and as well. 

I second that comment!  Nothing like the power and ease of Acronis.  Going on my 6 or 7th version.  I have been using it for years. I have the 3pc version, one on my main PC, one of each server.  It is also what I have always used when cloning my drives or moving from a hard drive to SSD.