RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
TrumpetWarrior

B120i RAID 10 Install Windows Server R2 Essentials

TrumpetWarrior

I Have a Micro Server Gen 8, and I installed 4 - 2TB WD Red's. (total of 8TB, leaving me 4TB to use) 

I set the B120i at RAID 10, and the array shows all 4 drives in one array which I wanted.

I FINALLY got Windows Server R2 Essentials installed, but I noticed that it only formatted and installed on the first 2TB of disk space leaving 2TB of unallocated disk space that I am not able to allocate, etc. (menu is all greyed out) if I click on the unallocated space.

It is all on Disk "0", so did I do something wrong? Is there a way to format all 4 TB's before installing Windows? Or is there a way to get the unallocated disk space into one total drive?

Thanks for the help! 

jmwills

Just delete the array and after the OS installed start over

TrumpetWarrior

I'm sorry to be new at this.. but I did get Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials installed...and no more kernel errors!! So, that should account for something lol, but...

I do not understand, I can delete the array and install windows first? Then go back in and configure a new array? Does that not defeat the purpose of raid 10?

I'm just looking for the best configuration for the most redundancy. I understand that the Windows OS will not recognize more than 2TB on an OS drive. Is there a way to break these up in a better configuration and still have raid 10? I wanted the "Server Folders" that Windows Essentials installs for the client backups on the most space.

Thanks for the help.

schoondoggy

This is why I generally install my OS on a small drive and leave the RAID set for data.

I would recommend a small SSD for the OS.

TrumpetWarrior

Thanks schoondoggy, but if I don't have an SSD, what would be the best way to use what I have (4-2TB drives)?

thanks man

jmwills

You don't want the OS on that Raid partition. Plain and simple. You can get a small spindle drive or SSD for the OS.

And yes, Windows can see partitions and drives larger than 2TB. See GPT.

Joe_Miner

I Have a Micro Server Gen 8, and I installed 4 - 2TB WD Red's. (total of 8TB, leaving me 4TB to use) 

I set the B120i at RAID 10, and the array shows all 4 drives in one array which I wanted.

I FINALLY got Windows Server R2 Essentials installed, but I noticed that it only formatted and installed on the first 2TB of disk space leaving 2TB of unallocated disk space that I am not able to allocate, etc. (menu is all greyed out) if I click on the unallocated space.

It is all on Disk "0", so did I do something wrong? Is there a way to format all 4 TB's before installing Windows? Or is there a way to get the unallocated disk space into one total drive?

Thanks for the help! 

I'm sorry to be new at this.. but I did get Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials installed...and no more kernel errors!! So, that should account for something lol, but...

I do not understand, I can delete the array and install windows first? Then go back in and configure a new array? Does that not defeat the purpose of raid 10?

I'm just looking for the best configuration for the most redundancy. I understand that the Windows OS will not recognize more than 2TB on an OS drive. Is there a way to break these up in a better configuration and still have raid 10? I wanted the "Server Folders" that Windows Essentials installs for the client backups on the most space.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks schoondoggy, but if I don't have an SSD, what would be the best way to use what I have (4-2TB drives)?

thanks man

You're going to have to study up and become much more proficient on RAID to do it the way you want -- start by studying they threads, articles, white papers on RAID in the RAID section at http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5190-microserver-hardware-links/  Then read ALL the RAID info at http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5639-proliant-microserver-gen8-links/ and you probably better make some time to experiment with RAID and installing OS on different logical drives.

One of our members did something similar with a RAID5 array to what I think you are trying to do with your RAID10  http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4682-odd-disk-layout-after-first-time-ws2012e-installany-advice/?p=49705 

After you create your RAID10 array you'll need to create a small Logical drive (100-200GB) that will be your drive C for you OS -- then install your OS -- then go back and create another logical Drive D that uses up the rest of the Array (and in drive manager of your OS you'll need to initialize it GPT and then format it). 

The easiest, and best, approach IMHO would be to attach a small SSD to the ODD SATA II port in a single drive RAID0 and make that your OS disk and use your entire RAID Array in the 4 drive cage -- it would also be Best practices to have a separate OS drive -- there are threads on how to do that at http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5639-proliant-microserver-gen8-links/

TrumpetWarrior

@ HSS Master, hey i really appreciate your links and input. You have been most helpful.

TrumpetWarrior

I read all the links, etc. and they were very helpful. What I ended up doing was creating one array with the 4-2TB disks as a RAID 10 array.

I created a "Custom" logical drive of 250GB, and another Logical Drive of 3.5TB (whatever was left).

Ran the intelligent provisioning, and installed Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials on the 250GB Drive, and once windows was up, it automatically popped up a dialog that wanted to convert the unallocated space for the 3.5TB drive to GPT, which I was going to do anyway.

I set the Essential folders (moved) them to the large drive for all my workstations backups and shares, and I'm good to go.

I know this is controversial, but I cant see buying another drive and finding a place to stuff it in the box when there is no redundancy. It is all a gamble, the single drive could fail and the OS on the single drive could fail just as the OS on my RAID drives, but at least all my data, including the OS is on a redundancy plan. I'm happy with that. The whole purpose of this thing is to keep from loosing data, and now even if a drive goes bad, I can replace it and hopefully not loose anything.

Thanks for everyone's help!

stix01

I read all the links, etc. and they were very helpful. What I ended up doing was creating one array with the 4-2TB disks as a RAID 10 array.

I created a "Custom" logical drive of 250GB, and another Logical Drive of 3.5TB (whatever was left).

Ran the intelligent provisioning, and installed Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials on the 250GB Drive, and once windows was up, it automatically popped up a dialog that wanted to convert the unallocated space for the 3.5TB drive to GPT, which I was going to do anyway.

I set the Essential folders (moved) them to the large drive for all my workstations backups and shares, and I'm good to go.

I know this is controversial, but I cant see buying another drive and finding a place to stuff it in the box when there is no redundancy. It is all a gamble, the single drive could fail and the OS on the single drive could fail just as the OS on my RAID drives, but at least all my data, including the OS is on a redundancy plan. I'm happy with that. The whole purpose of this thing is to keep from loosing data, and now even if a drive goes bad, I can replace it and hopefully not loose anything.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Trumpet warrior. I reccomend for ease of restore that you actually run your operating system on a physically seperate drive. I know that this may be contrary to what you think but it will pay dividends. I reccomend a intel 300 series SSD. I'm not sure if you have a drive in the ODD space but it's well documented on how to do this. Also the MTBF on intel 300 SSD's is very good. There is no reason why you can't back up an image of the server os frequently to another disk if you are concerned about redundancy. As far as speed goes you will reap a massive gain for using a SSD as the server OS. It will respond quicker to requests. It will just behave snappier. Also from a admin perspective it's much nicer. Also - that 250gb you will gain that as real storage.

If redundancy is a serious concern for the server OS. Consider investing in a HBA/Raid card that works but isn't listed by HP as supported a few people here in the forums are running them.  Then mount 2x ssd's on a internal bracket. It may be a expensive investment from your perspective but the performance you will net will just blow you away.

Also in the event of you dropping a disk on the storage array your server will not be trying to run the os and rebuild the array.

• Like 1