RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
tangcla

G8 as HTPC

tangcla

Just wondering, if anyone's using their G8 as an HTPC without any hardware upgrades?

I was looking at building a Mini ITX machine as an HTPC to stream video over the network using Plex, but for the cost, I may as well just relocate the Microserver to the living room and save myself $3-400.

The next question would be whether I should continue using Windows Server 2012R2, or just install Windows 8.1 on it

Vance Fox

You could, but one of the most common requirements of an htpc is 1080 playback. I don't see the video port handling that...

Honestly I built a low end htpc with a decent video card for about $700. I've since upgraded to something that can play any game at extreme or high settings and any video at 1080, 3d included, and use the gen8 as a media server.

My opinion is stick with your original idea as I think you'll get the upgrade bug for your htpc...

Edit: I run my plex server on my gen8 and I can stream to my htpc and, so far, 2 other computers with no buffering or loss of quality. Honestly I think it's the best setup for media streaming.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Edited by Vance Fox

tangcla

Is it the CPU that's not enough grunt, or the graphics card?

I don't plan on playing games on it, it's literally just to stream content over the network. I currently use the G8 as a Plex server, which would mean it does all the transcoding already to my TV.

Vance Fox

The on board graphics isn't really built for fps... It's built for server management.

The microserver can be used as an htpc. You really should purchase a pcie graphics card but take care to not overload the psu or the motherboard.

I understand you just want to stream. I did too. Then the upgrade bug kicked in.

I started with a low profile case amd system designed to be quiet and low power. Then I wondered how it would work with a quad core. Then I wanted more than 2tb. Then I wanted an ssd os drive. Then I wanted dual nic. Then I wanted a better motherboard. Then I wanted more ram. Then came the monster video card. You get the picture...

I'd sick with the gen8 as your media server and build a new toy, but that's me. Although if they had computers anonymous I'd be sent there under court order.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

tangcla

Haha - I've already got my main PC which I do all my photo processing on, so it really *is* just for streaming. Honest. :D

I've already got a P222 in the Microserver running 3x3TB drives in RAID5, so storage is a non-issue; but that means no slot for additional graphics.

oj88

Use the G8 as a media server then get a Roku 3 ($79 refurb, $99 brand new), install the Plex channel and you're set. It only use up 3.5 Watts when streaming HD media.

Unless you have a different reason why you need a full-fledged HTPC.

ikon

One thing I always want to get clear on these types of questions is whether the poster really wants the server to stream the content, of whether they simply want to be able to read the files from the HTPC and play them on a local device, whether it be another computer or some kind of 'extender'.

tangcla

One thing I always want to get clear on these types of questions is whether the poster really wants the server to stream the content, of whether they simply want to be able to read the files from the HTPC and play them on a local device, whether it be another computer or some kind of 'extender'.

My plan was to use the G8 to play the file, directly connected to the TV. But I'm going to build an HTPC with an Ivy Bridge i5 that I'll have, once I upgrade my desktop to Haswell.

Already compiling parts :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ikon

If you want to play the file from the server directly to the TV, I think it will need more video horsepower. For serving the file to an HTPC computer, no problem.