RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

IIS 403

Guest techyguyni

Guest techyguyni

Got a problem at base camp tonight. getting a 403 error when trying to visit my site from the wan, when iam on my lan it works fine, nothing changed and its been working for 2 days without fail this is a screen shot

post-8026-0-17276800-1392765623_thumb.png

Guest techyguyni

i have it sorted out, i had my dns configured wrong, i had dns on server 1 setup with pointers to server 2's ip, i also had dns configured on server 2 but only had forward lookup zone for the site, last night i removed server 2's points and left them on server 1, now it works fine, so in short dns on server 2 is empty, i am not even sure if i need dns role installed on server 2 as its not been used?

Edited by techyguyni

Guest techyguyni

its now a 404 error HTTP Error 404. The requested resource is not found.

i think this has to do with dns as its not somthing i am to up on. i have bindings set on the iis server www.domain.com and not ip address defined.

I have nothing in my dns on the iis server, but i have pointers on my dns server pointing to my iis, i also have port forwarding on my router to the iis server....what els could this be 

Do this on the server in question. Using localhost.  This gives a lot more detailed information about the error, usually.

As for DNS settings, make sure that the DNS server (the DC usually) has the DNS entries on it's NIC(s) set to "127.0.0.1". And that the "DNS Forwarder" on the DNS Server has been configured to work with a known good DNS server.  Then make sure that the DHCP server is set to hand out your DNS server as the primary DNS server. Or that the IIS server is manually configured.

Guest techyguyni

Hi

I am running essentials and this auto runs dhcp dns out of the box, on the essentials server i checked the ipv4 config and it has 127.0.0.1 as the alternative dns, the primary is its self, 192.168.0.102.

Regarding and QUOTE "And that the "DNS Forwarder" on the DNS Server has been configured to work with a known good DNS server. " have I got my dns settigns correct as i dont really undertsand this part.

As to the DHCP this is running on my router/modem that provides the wan connection to the house, i have dhcp running on the essentials server but its only configured for devices that use the WDS service.

Why? As long as you configure the DHCP server on the router to use your DC as the first DNS entry, everything should be good. That's what I've done with my linksys router, pfsense and now sophos. Works fine.