RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
justaguy

NAS and Server data storage

justaguy

I am starting the build on a home server (N54L with WHS2011). I also have an existing Netgear 2 bay NAS.

I there any software that would allow me to keep certain sets of data synchronized between the server and the NAS? For example, could I chose a folder or set of folders on the server and have those synchronized to a drive mapped to the Netgear NAS? I have a fair amount of data and instead of running weekly incremental and monthly full backups I'd rather have the data duplicated as it changes. With a 2nd copy of the data on the NAS I can mount a USB3 external drive for periodic off-site backup.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Michael

pcdoc

I am starting the build on a home server (N54L with WHS2011). I also have an existing Netgear 2 bay NAS.

I there any software that would allow me to keep certain sets of data synchronized between the server and the NAS? For example, could I chose a folder or set of folders on the server and have those synchronized to a drive mapped to the Netgear NAS? I have a fair amount of data and instead of running weekly incremental and monthly full backups I'd rather have the data duplicated as it changes. With a 2nd copy of the data on the NAS I can mount a USB3 external drive for periodic off-site backup.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Michael

I am doing exactly that with AllwaySync Pro.  I manage about 15 folders that way and it runs daily.  I allow have a couple of critical folders which are monitored real time for changes using AllwaySync as well.  Great program.   A bit of a learning curve but once you dial it in it is very powerful.

Renny

Allway Sync will do the job as PC Doc suggests. Or you could try CrashPlan which I think is free for use on your local network, but also offers great cloud/offsite syncing too.

jmwills

A simple script (read free) will do it to.

Drashna Jaelre

Yeah, but a free script will require setting up task scheduler, and therefore will not be instantaneous.

justaguy

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to give Allway Sync a try. I appears to be what I was looking for,

Drashna Jaelre

It's a great program, and everyone that I know that uses it, loves it.